Chapter 25

Working from Home. Lalala~

Engagement

The day came. September fourth.

If I told you it was like my usual days, that would be a lie. If I told you it was like any other event that my family had hosted, that would be another lie.

This day was more... eventful.

I had woken up at six am. Quickly shipped to the hotel after eating a piece of croissant. There were so many things to go through. Last minute preparations. A finalized guest list and seating arrangements. Seven am and there was an issue with the sound engineers and the opinions were needed. Even with the stringent supervision of the general manager Nero Hotels had employed and the four top tier managers flying in from their European branches, I was still not excused.

There were still small details to pay attention to here and there as the face of the engagement party. Jace was caught up with work and would not be arriving until an hour before the event.

Even more reason to make sure I shoved everything in my head. In case something went wrong.

Inevitably, it reminded me of Anyna and her eighteenth birthday party.

It made me sigh.

Almost two months and there was yet to be official news about her.

I had to drop that heavy thought quickly, though. My brain was needed in the here and now.

There was the security team and the lengthy explanation of where the concentration of the body guards would be. My suite was airtight and the corridor as well as the elevator that was strictly for my and my family's use. More words. Regular protocols. Don't go out alone, make sure someone always went with me. It was strange how for some reason, the number of guards not simply meant keeping me away from any danger... but also making sure I didn't escape.

"K9 teams are also to be deployed to each entrance. Three for the front entrance. News outlets would be swarming the area, the big ones are normally not a problem as they respect protocols. It's those freelance photographers we have to look out for. Make sure none of the paparazzi gets into the building, much less the venue hall."

"Yes, Sir!"

My eyes raised to the team leader. It was a buff old man. Graying buzzcut brown hair and a stern expression in place. He wore a fitted black shirt, army pants and leather boots. It just had to be cliché that he was ex-navy.

His dark eyes were trained on me knowingly and I returned it curiously, "Sir Jace's specific orders."

He remembered.

I smiled at the man kindly and nodded. The discussion went on. I leaned back on my chair, breathing easier.

I could tell you every ridiculous detail. Of how, apparently, two dishes of the twelve-course meal contained allergens to four people on the guest list of over two-hundred people. I didn't bat an eyelash as I watched the heated argument of the Head Chef and the event organizer. The general manager watched just as silently as I did. This normally happened, especially with last minute guests.

I glanced down at my diamond-studded platinum Cartier timepiece.

It was eleven am. Five hours passed so quickly. My lunchbreak was due. And after that, it was time meet my glam team. Another four to five hours.

The event started at seven.

That would mean eight more hours of waiting for searching for possible mayhap that could happen before the event...