Chapter 40

Hello.

Children

Anyna's phone.

I felt like time slowed down as I watched it ring in his hand.

"W-where'd you get that?" the words stumbled out.

Those gray eyes turned sharp, "Were you hiding it? I know this isn't your phone." He glanced down at the phone, "And whose number is calling?"

My body automatically leapt, my hand trying to snatch the phone out of his hold, "Jace!"

It was too late. Jace easily grabbed me by the forearm as I reached out, holding me away from the phone. He'd flipped the phone open and my thoughts just scattered

"Who are you?"

The world crashed on its own. I didn't hear what the other person said. But the building fury in the face of the person listening was telling enough.

"Anyna? Anyna Ruiz?" The frost in his tone.

No.

"Looking for Isla? You mean, my wife?"

I wanted to snatch the phone away. But Jace's eyes never left me as he listened to Anyna. His hold was released but that look he gave dared me to move. My heart was beating an erratic rhythm, praying, pleading to all the forces on earth for Anyna not to say something stupid.

After the last infuriating call, Anyna never contacted me again. Never. It was time to dispose of it. I shouldn't get involved with her anymore.

Too late. Too late.

"Let her go?" Jace's light chuckle was evil, "Give her back? You make it sound like I forced her to be here."

My prayers deeming ineffective, it begged the question of what I hoped for. Knowing her personality, Anyna would've said anything to provoke anger in the person she didn't like.

The rising anger in Jace's tone was making me dizzy and something that was said seemed to make Jace forget I was in front of him. His face turned to the side, as if turning to the face the voice on the phone.

"You think you can be angry with me? Are you insane? Why don't you come back here and fix the mess you left?"

The strength was leaving my legs and I planted a hand to the counter beside us to steady myself.

With the panic I was feeling, all the words were flying out of my head and I needed time to recollect. I should've thrown away that phone when I had the chance.

It was too late now.

Damn it. Damn it.

I didn't catch the rest of the conversation. I could only register the click as the flip phone closed, shutting off the call.

And sudden silence. Blood rushed in my ears as I waited for the words.

"You said you didn't know where your friend was," the sudden calm tone was more than frightening.

He was talking to me again and I had to answer.

"I don't—" the flip phone cracked with how tight he was holding it, "I—I swear I don't."

"You liar."

That felt like a slap. Of all things, I really didn't know where she was. I still did not to this date.

"I'm not—"

"You said you weren't in contact with her!"

And that, I could not rebut.