Chapter 7

Hospital

"She's just dehydrated, Jace. When she finishes that saline bag, you're free to take her." There was humor in that person's voice. "Besides, why so worried? I've never seen you like this with your other... girls."

"She's my fiancée," that was Jace.

A cough followed, "The hell? Don't joke about things like that, you idiot!"

"The engagement will be officially announced on the eighth. The wedding will be on the twelfth next month." That reply came breezily.

A moment of silence, "Damn, you're kidding right? Since when? What—who is she again? And you plan on telling us when?"

"Isla Euodia Porter, Prestigio Hotels."

My eyes fluttered open at the sound pf my name. The white ceiling that greeted me was unfamiliar and I bolted upright on the bed. Two hands quickly held unto my shoulder to help me sit up. Mint and ice with a mix of perfume assaulted my nostrils before a silver stare met my disoriented gaze.

"Why..." my words failed me as I took in Jace Black this close to me.

He had shed his navy blue coat some time ago and another man, in a white labcoat stood behind him. Curiosity clouded the other guy's face as he glanced at Jace then me then the hands on my shoulders.

It was reflex when I pushed those hands away, now avoiding his eyes to glance around the room. Why was he too close? And where were we?

"W-what happened?" I finally asked, not meeting his eyes.

He made a sound at the back of his throat before replying, "You fainted."

My head snapped back in his direction in disbelief. Jace gave me an appraising look. "You don't remember?"

And like that, everything came back to me. The wedding gown was so heavy... the dizziness I was feeling. My eyes looked down at my own body. No gown. I was in hospital clothes that I did not remembering changing into.

"Who changed my clothes?" Panicked eyes lifted to the guy in front of me.

He tilted his head to the side, watching my reaction.

"Me."

It felt like my heart dropped into my stomach, "W-why?"

Why? I had a few choice words that I had to hold back. That Jace Black had seen me naked didn't sit well with me. It made me feel too vulnerable.

"It's nothing I haven't seen before." Amusement lifted one corner of his mouth as if to provoke me.

My hands grasped the sheets and pulled them close to my chest, "I wasn't asking about your conquests, Black."

The sound of laughter from behind him made me jump. I almost forgot he was there. And as if to assert his presence, he stepped in beside Jace to hold out his hand to me.

"Tristan Anderson, congratulations on the upcoming nuptials." to be polite, I took it. He was tall, about Jace's height. He had brown curly hair, powder-white skin and and big green eyes.

"Doctor?" I eyed his labcoat. That seemed a farfetched considering how young he looked.

He gave me a lopsided smile, "Still taking my specialization, also taking my internship in this hospital. I just came by your room because of Jace, he's my friend."

I glanced down at my hand that was still in his grasp. It didn't seem he wanted to let go of it at anytime. Of course, he'd be friends with Jace Black.