Chapter Twenty-One

A/N

Pleaseee don't be angy with this chapter! I'll publish the last chapter tomorrow~~

:o

~~~

The second I woke up, searing pain shot up my leg. I sat up instantly, feeling odd and woozy, feeling something on my face and my legs. It was unnatural, though.. As I looked around I couldn't see very well. My eyes seemed glazed.

A small bit of fear rushed in like adrenaline. Where was I?

"Shon-" I tried to speak, but my throat was hoarse as if I hadn't talked in a while. That couldn't have been the case.. I had just spoken last night.

I began to quickly try to clear the haze on my eyes, but the second I could see properly again I wished I hadn't. It couldn't be true..

I was sitting up, on a hospital bed in a very brightly lit room. Then I noticed his sleeping form laying in a very uncomfortable position. My brother.

No. This couldn't be correct- He was gone.. Right? He had to have been? I watched him fall to his death. I witnessed it all. My mind couldn't have just imagined that?? Right? It's impossible! I felt pain and sadness- That wouldn't have just been my own doing?

I hadn't even realized I had been staring intensely at my feet, a few tears running down my cheeks until someone touched my shoulder. My thoughts were shaken right out of me as I whipped my head in my brother's direction. His eyes were staring straight at mine, a concerned yet happy look resting in them.

It almost felt like I could break down right on the spot, but obviously, I wasn't even in my own state of mind and hadn't even considered it. I merely just wanted to stare at him as if I were reliving a fantasy. This couldn't be real.. I had to be dreaming.

"Evern..? You're going to be okay.. I promise." His voice sounded so calm.. How was he so calm? I was cleary lost.. Or hallucinating..

As if on queue, a different person entered the room. He was tall, wore a white doctor attire, and to put it lightly.. He looked gruff. Kind of intimidating, to say the least.

He approached, holding his clipboard and began to talk with my brother. I could barely decipher what they were talking about though. I was tired and constantly felt like I was going to pass out, no matter how hard I tried to prevent it.

"Where.. Where are they..? What did you do to them-" It was like I was choking on my own throat. Dry as a desert and basically broken. Not sure how it happened though.. I wasn't sure how anything happened at this point.

"Who?" My brother asked, knocking me back to focus again. I shook my head, knowing he wouldn't know who I was talking about.

But.. right after that, I passed out only to wake up in the hospital again. I only stayed conscious for a few moments that time. Soon, I found myself waking up in my old house, laying on the couch in front of the fireplace. The T.V above it was playing reruns of old cartoons as if I were watching them. I couldn't quite remember turning anything on..

Then, from the sound of movement in another room, it all came crashing back. Like a tsunami wave. I wasn't sure what to think at that point.

"Timothy..?" My voice cracked itself, turning into a quiet whisper as I spoke. Sure enough, my brother heard me and walked over. He was holding some sort of drink in one hand and a plate of fruit in the other. He wore a small smile on his face, his eyes basically gleaming as well.

"What's up?" He acted like nothing was wrong.. How?? I wasn't where I was supposed to be?

I felt like clearing my throat, but I was worried I'd just hurt myself on accident.

"Where.. Are we? This is home.. Right?" I started, feeling as though i would start coughing. Timothy simply nodded, his smile slowly fading away. He was looking at me with a soft, yet strong gaze, the one he used to look at me with when I was in trouble or sad.

"Then.. where did they go?" I tried to swallow my feelings of confusion, guilt, hurt, and sadness as I spoke. It was unreasonably difficult..

"Who..?"

I shook my head, trying to forget everything. Maybe this was all just some sick prank, or lie.. Maybe I had died and I was in hell for not being the person I should have been. Maybe I was even given another chance at life, to start a new.. But I didn't want another life! Even though I was depressed when everyone tried to help, I wouldn't change anything. I wouldn't do anything to lose the people I loved, even if that meant I had to suffer.

"Evern. Look at me." Once again, I was shaken out of my thoughts and turned to meet my brother's eyes again. "You were in a coma, for almost a month. A lot of things have happened since then.. I promise you I won't let anything happen.."

His voice faded away as an existential crisis hit me. I was in a coma..? It had been a dream..? How? I got injured.. I felt pain in my leg.. When I hurt myself too.. This had to be a lie! It just had to!

That's when I passed out again.

When I came too.. Things felt much clearer. The hurt and sadness hadn't gone away, but I was able to think straight.

I sat up on the couch, seeing my brother asleep on the chair nearby. I smiled a little bit, glad to have my brother back again.

Being quiet, I stood up, tiptoed out of the room, and in my pajamas I headed for the back door. Answers were what I needed, so going back to the place I was saved.. There had to be a clue there.

So, walking out of the house, the first noted thing was the sunset. There was no way of telling what day it was at the moment.. But I'd figure that out later. I stared up at the trees and the stars as if the held the wisdom I sought before heading in the direction of my running away.

The brush was much taller than before. It's definitely been awhile..

Soon I reached the ledge I had planned to take my life on before. It felt odd to stand there, barefoot, pajamas, and alone..

The sun was setting, giving off a euphoric feeling, along with the slight breeze.

"Sho-" I started, but felt my voice give out.

Aggravated, I cleared my throat. Can't let it stop me..

"Shon!!" The shout left me much louder than I had expected. It strained my voice, but I had to at least try. I had to try and see if they were there..

A tear slipped from my eye as I small bit of hope left me. What was the point? None of it was real..

Then, just as I had turned around to head home, I noticed something glinting in the setting sun. It was tucked under a bush, but when I approached I realized it was the metal latch to my backpack. The same one I had used to pack my things.

I looked out towards the valley, a fiery determination filling my heart.

They had to be out there somewhere.. And I wasn't going to stop until I found them.