❃Chapter Nine❃

Life on the road alone was something Asake was definitely not used to. She had always been with someone, whether it be Iroh, Zuko, or even Zasai, the man who kidnapped her for Zhao. She had never been alone a day in her life. Surprisingly, it was really, really nice. She didn't have to listen to anyone whine and complain about their life; she could do that herself. She didn't have to listen to anyone order her around; she could do that herself. Most importantly, though, she didn't have to listen to anyone at all. She finally had the chance to change her destiny, and she was doing it, for better or worse.

It was exhilarating. It was also exhausting.

Asake never knew how much she relied on Iroh and Zuko mentally, physically, and emotionally. Those two were her support systems, and she didn't have that anymore. It was better this way, though. At least, that was what she kept chanting to herself when her journey got hard and long. The only thing she had left was hope for a better future. That was the only thing keeping her going instead of running back to wherever Zuko and Iroh were, wherever they were even at. This was her life now; she wouldn't let them -- wouldn't let Zuko -- take her life back into their hands anymore.

Unfortunately for her, though, she couldn't stop thinking about them. They were the only people she truly knew and cared for. She was sure that Iroh was worrying nonstop about her; she loved him for how much he wanted what was best for her. Zuko, on the other hand, was probably angry at her, like always. She didn't want to be around that anger anymore. It had led her down some destructive paths, places she didn't want to go to again.

It was pretty terrible that Zuko and the other awful influences in her life was guiding what she was doing now, though. Asake had resorted to stealing. She didn't want to. She wanted to pay for the sheathes that would fit her swords so perfectly, but she didn't have anything on her. So, she waited until the store owner turned his back and snatched the sheathes from the front table. Her feet were silent as they raced out of the small store, and she was long gone before he realized someone had stolen from him. 

Guilt was eating her up, weighing heavily on her scarred heart. She never wanted to be someone that stole things. She never wanted to be the person she was now. Asake knew that she had to do what she had to do, and if stealing was a part of her new life, she would do it. It didn't matter if she felt bad or not, she had to survive by herself on her journey to Ba Sing Se or wherever her feet took her next. 

Asake sucked in a deep breath of the crisp night air as she walked next to a small river teeming with multicolored fish. Everything about tonight was beautiful and peaceful. It was the perfect night to fall in love with the moon shining down upon the path in front of her. Fortunately for her, she had already almost done that and decided it was not worth her time. She was better off alone, anyway.

A smile worked its way onto her face as she continued her peaceful stroll next to the slow-moving river that glistened in the moonlight. Sure, she missed Zuko and Iroh, but she liked being on her own more. No one was out to get her, nor were they going to fight with her over something silly. She could be her own person without anyone having an opinion about her. 

Maybe that was Zuko's problem. He wanted to please every single person who mattered to him most, yet he couldn't even please himself. He wanted to gain his honor back from his father, but did he really lose his honor when he was banished? Or did Ozai lose his honor instead? He had burned his own son because he had a different opinion than him. He burned his own son for caring about the Fire Nation troops who were going to be ruthlessly slaughtered just to get a leg up on the competition. Zuko cared to much about the opinions of people who shouldn't have mattered at all to him. He couldn't see past his own pain to notice that the opinions he should care about were there from the start. 

She didn't understand how someone could do that to their own child. If Asake ever had children, she would love them more than she loved anything else. She would give them a life better than hers and make sure they wouldn't get treated like she did. She would hurt anyone who harmed the people she loved, no matter who they were. For some reason, though, Asake couldn't picture herself having kids. She couldn't picture herself ever getting close enough to a person to want to try to have kids. 

"Hey, do I know you?"

Asake turned toward the man who had spoken. He had a contemplating face on as he stared at her. Somehow, she hadn't even heard him approach her. Maybe it was because she was listening to the river and the fish in the river. Maybe it was because she was stuck in her head. Whatever it was, she didn't like it one bit. 

Her hands itched to hold her swords, but she didn't want to alarm him. As long as she acted like she was innocent, he wouldn't know that she wasn't. That way, she wouldn't hurt anyone. Hopefully.

"I'm sorry," she said to him, offering him a small smile, hoping that would throw him off. "But I've never been here before. I wouldn't know you."

His dark eyes narrowed at her. There was something scary behind them, making her hands wrap around the hilt of the swords in their new sheathes. They were cool against her palms, and that allowed her to be more present in the moment.

"No, I'm pretty sure I've seen you before," he continued, running a hand through his medium length hair. He looked pretty young, like he was around her age, and his muscles were formed under his sleeves. He was pretty cute, but she didn't like the look in his eyes. "Where have I seen you before?"

She took small steps away from him, and he didn't notice. As long as he was distracted, she could sneak away. She wouldn't have to use her swords. She wouldn't have to hurt him. She could be safe again.

"I got it!" he said loudly, his finger pointing toward the full moon sky. "I saw you on a wanted poster." His eyes grew gleeful when he realized what that meant. He took a large step toward her, and her heart started hammering against her chest as she took a step closer to the river. There were wanted posters for her? When had that happened? "What'd you do, little girl? Run away from home? Is your daddy looking for you?"

Asake winced when he said that to her. How in the world did he know Zhao used those words when he abused her? Anger coursed through her body at the thought. How dare he say that to her? He had no idea what she went through. In less than a second, she had a sword pressed against his throat. The color drained from his face as she hissed, "I didn't run away from home. I was banished because I killed a man. And I could do it again."

That totally wasn't the truth, but he didn't know that. As long as she kept the sword against his throat, he would be terrified of her. The guy swallowed hard, his skin bobbing dangerously close to the tip of the sword. He slowly raised his hands. "I'll forget I ever saw you," he said, his voice shaking against her blade. "Please don't hurt me."

Asake laughed humorlessly. "Why can't I hurt you? It will give me so much pleasure."

"I have to provide for my little brother and sister," he said in a rush. There was actual remorse in his eyes, which made her a little wary of hurting him. "Our parents died a year ago, and they're too small to take care of themselves."

She stared at him and slowly lowered her sword. However, she remained on edge just in case he decided to run. She wouldn't hesitate to stab the sword through his heart if he ran. Asake hated how her life had become this, where she wouldn't hesitate to murder someone or steal things for herself. It was what it was, though.

"As long as you don't say anything," she said softly, "I will let you live."

"Thank you."

"If you run toward the village, know that I will hurt you," she said, stepping closer to the thicket of trees near her and farther away from the river that she had once found so much peace in. She could never find happiness anywhere; something had to ruin it. "Stay here until I'm gone."

Asake took off running. She knew he wouldn't listen to her. She wouldn't have listened to herself if she were in his position. She knew he would tell someone, so she had to get out of there as fast as she could. Her feet flew over the uneven ground, but she didn't trip. She wouldn't go down without a fight. Never again.