~ Chapter 16 ~

Sleep, you stupid body!

Grian rolled over in bed, finding a new position where his wings would be comfortable.
He raised his head and glanced at the bedside table, where a clock glowed, lighting up the numbers. 5:34. Great.
Grian sat up, careful to not wake Iskall, and looked for something- anything to do. He rummaged through the his pockets, reaching for his pen he kept on him. Clicking the pen as quietly as possible, he started doodling on the hem of his pants. He winced as the cut on his hand shifted slightly, just a reminder its existence.

"Grian?" He froze as Iskall barely whispered his name in the dark. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, sorry, uh, did I wake you?"

"Yes, but it's okay, because I care about you more than me right now." Iskall sat up as well, turning on the lamp. He looked at Grian, urging him to talk.

"I couldn't sleep. I don't know why, I just woke up... I had a dream. But I don't remember it." Iskall wrapped an arm around him, and continued to look at Grian. "Can- can you distract me? From everything?" Oh god, that came out wrong-

Iskall looked at the ceiling, thinking. "A shrimps heart is in its head." Grian just stared at him. "What? I thought that was very distracting."

"Why do you know that?" he asked, incredulous. Well then. I guess this is what I'm doing fo the rest of the night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been four days since the murderer has made a move, and the paranoia was really getting to Xisuma.
He stayed in his room, trying to set an example, only coming out when he needed to.
Bdubs had come in to join him, still distraught about all the deaths. So, he stayed with X for the day.
At least he's dealing with this better than Grian. Iskall had told him that Grian had half the mind to kill himself, just out of grief. I can't let anyone else suffer. X was brought back to reality with a fit of coughing.

"X? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Bdubs. Just air caught in my throat." That was a lie. Obviously. All of yesterday, X was coughing and he'd started experiencing cramps. But he didn't want to worry Bdubs any more than he already was.
He doubled over in another fit of coughing, covering his mouth. When he tried to look up, another wave of pain washed over him. He flinched, trying to ignore the soreness in his stomach.

"You are not fine. I'm getting Zed," Bdubs said, reaching for the doorknob and running down the hallway.

X sat down on the bed, feeling nauseous. Pain ripped through his chest and he tasted blood in his mouth. Dammit, he thought, raising his hand to his mouth. Stupid tongue. He tried to stand up, but fell over again. 

Zedaph and Bdubs ran into the room, but Zed's features were covered by a mask. Mask? I- oh. Oh. It's a poison, dammit. Xisuma's thoughts stumbled into one another as he tried to sit up. Ow ow ow ow ow. The tightness in his chest continued to grow, as though trying to announce itself.

"No, you need to rest," Zed said, easing him back down. It was hard to hear him through the mask, though. Or was it the effects? "I'm sure that this is a ri-" he explanation was cut short by a fit of coughing.
But it wasn't X.

A stabbing pain shot through Xisuma's system, causing him to fall back on the bed, groaning. Or trying to. Why was breathing so hard? He slowly lost consciousness, slipping into darkness.

The last thing he saw before closing his eyes, was Bdubs sinking to floor, coughing and clutching his chest.

Please tell me you liked this cuz i had to do tons of poison research... my ads are going to be very interesting...
Thanks for reading Meerkats! wc: approx. 650