~ Chapter 24 ~

I might see them again. What if they don't like me? I'll still be me, but not really... Thoughts and worries flooded his head, as Grian stood in front of the portal.

A few hours ago, the Council summoned him and said that he could return to Hermitcraft. On one condition. He wouldn't be Grian. He knew he should be grateful to be able to see his friends again, but they wouldn't even know who he was.

Guess that's what I get for 'abandoning' them.

Ling had helped him review who he was and choose a suitable disguise. The spell acted like a cloak to hide who he really was. Grian looked in the mirror and a boy stared back with brown eyes, freckles and messy brown hair. He wore a summer yellow shirt, with black cuffs and blue jeans.

Ling smiled at him, giving a reassuring thumbs-up. Really, it was thanks to her that he'd be returning. Over the months that Grian had been gone, she noticed his behaviour, and brought it to the Council's attention, saying that he'd be happier with the hermits. They thought about it and eventually agreed.
Now, Grian stood, waiting for the Watchers to grant access to the gateway.

"Good luck," Ling whispered.

Grian took a breath, and stepped into the swirling portal.

Sand hit his face and waves crashed in the background. He felt his communicator buzz, as Xisuma told everyone to meet at the spawn island.

Home. He stood up, brushing sand off his pants. Fireworks exploded and he was hermits glide over the ocean or teleport through the portal.

Most likely grinning like an idiot, he waved at them, recognizing the familiar faces.

"Hi! My name's Ark."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new hermit had fit in rather quickly. He had already collected most necessary supplies and acted as though they've been friends for years. He was goofy, kind and, most importantly, incredibly annoying.

He reminded Mumbo of Grian.

Every time he thought about him, it felt like his heart was getting stabbed, multiple times over, or like his lungs failed him. But every time he was upset, Ark would be there.
One of those times was today. 

Mumbo was busy trading with his villagers, but he turned and saw the Grian statue among the villager heads. He tried to swallow the lump in his throat, but failing as memories and guilt overtook him.

Memories of him, Grian and Iskall building Sahara.
Memories of Grian pranking Mumbo.
Him and Grian stuck in a hole because the villager machine was malfunctioning.
Grian directing G-Team into battle.
Grian stealing his moustache.
Him and Grian hanging out, just because they could.

Tears were streaming down his face when Mumbo heard rockets fire above. Ark 'happened' to be flying over his villager trading district and saw Mumbo crying against the wall. He ran over to the redstoner, almost tripping on his too-long jeans.

"Hey, Mumbo," he whispered, lightly putting a hand on his shoulder.

"I miss him so much," he choked out.

More memories. Grian falling to his death to deliver fliers.
Grian helping raise Grumbot.
Mumbo comforting Grian after his nightmare. 

Mumbo felt Ark wipe the tears from his face and hug him. 

"I'm sorry," he whispered, trying to calm the other. "X said that he was fine, remember?" 

When no reply came, he sighed and reached into one of his pockets and pulled out a picture. A picture of Grian, Iskall and Mumbo, just after they opened up Sahara. Iskall stood in the back, throwing confetti and redstone dust into the air, while Mumbo tried to act formal, and failing. Grian held the camera, with a parrot on his shoulder that took up at least half of the photo. The memory radiated happiness. 

"I knew him," Ark mumbled. "He loves Hermitcraft. He loves you. I'm really sorry." There was a slight hitch to his voice, as though he was trying to hold back tears. He sighed and hugged Mumbo again.

Memories of the two comforting each other when they were upset.

YA'll WANTED ANGST HERE YA GO
oki bai

Out of Your Control - a Hermitcraft AUजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें