Dance till your dead

Briar POV

9am. I'm woken up by a series of nudges, starting as light taps, ending up with me having to save myself from falling off the bed. Finally, I sit up to look over and see Myles, sat next to me fully ready and dressed.
"What's happening?" I yawn out.
"Back in class in half an hour, get ready" he retorted.
I guess this is really happening then.

The car pulls into the CDC parking lot. 9:29 flashes up on my phone. Great. Technically on time but not really, not here. That means no time for stretching or warm up, at least I won't have to deal with incessant questions from everyone about why I haven't been in class for a while.

I walk into the studio, hand in hand with Myles to about 20 other dancers divided into groups around the room. A few people notice us walk in, I give Devon a sheepish smile and see Jesy stare at me for about ten seconds before finally looking away. This is going to be... interesting.
'Briar! Myles!' a familiar voice calls from the side. Our choreographer, Allain.
'I wasn't expecting either of you back yet, given everything at home?' he continues, getting quieter as he mentions my home life.
'Everything.. at home ?' I question back. Oh god I really do not want to deal with the dead father and psycho mother questions. not today.
'Your dad's accident? I'd imagine it would become quite consuming--how is he, your father?' Allain continues as Myles and I sigh in relief in unison.
'Actually Allain-' Myles goes to start, but I cut in 'He's fine. Uh yeah, the accident was pretty bad but he's going to be fine, it's just been a whole... family focused affair at home, but there's nowhere I'd rather be than here right now.' I quickly fire back. I don't want to have to deal with any of this right now, so I figured a white lie would be better than having to get into all of - that - for now. Myles looks over to me, obviously questioning my decision to lie, but I meet him with a reassuring smile and turn back to Allain as he begins to speak again.
"Okay, so we've been working on small groups, nothing serious, just some in-house competition, so Myles if you go and join Devon's group and Briar I think we can fit you in with Effie's group." He replies, and begins to walk away. Okay, Effie's group - at least I have Jesy in this group, and we're friends again so it should be slightly more bareable. It's just that I know that everyone in here knows that I practically ran away from home with my boyfriend of about two weeks? how do I explain that if and when it comes up. I wanted to dance to take my mind off everything - it's just at the time I must've forgotten that dance basically equals drama at this point. I walk over to Effie's group and I'm greeted with a half hug from Jesy and a whole lot of stares from everyone else. Maybe I hadn't missed this as much as I thought...

534 words
a/n: oh my god... what a year 2020 has already been. Sorry for not updating since like Novemberish? but... this year dude. I could very easily go off on a rant about how awful this year has been already only six months in but here's just a small message from me: regarding corona/covid please stay safe!! I know it seems like too little too late but in a lot of countries covid 19 is still prominent and I know in the UK right now its being mostly treated as by most of the public but it isn't! Still check in on your neighbours, your friends your family and please stay safe! And regarding all the blm in the news recently - jeses christ. I know, as a white person there isn't much I can say right now that hasn't already been said much more eloquently by Black people all around the world, but please, once the protests around the world begin to taper off and George Floyd's death is no longer front page news - do not stop fighting. Do not stop trying to make a change and make this world that was systemically designed for white people just that bit more equal, just that bit more FAIR for everyone in it. Once the whole blm movement is no longer a 'trend' continue to advocate for the fact that black lives matter!!! For anyone trying to be an ally or educate themselves more here: blacklivesmatters.carrd.co
This link has a list of helpful petitions to sign, places to donate, and a lot of other ways to help - if you want to educate yourself further I strongly recommend 13th, When they see us, and the death and life of Marsha P. Johnson on Netflix, along with a lot of docs and retellings on BBC iplayer & 4OD. Also, happy pride month to all those celebrating!! This may not seem like the best time to celebrate pride given what the whole year has been but remember - stonewall was a riot led by a black trans woman - Marsha P. Johnson and remember that activism has to be interaectional - celebrate pride and keep fighting for justice and change, both for people within the LGBT community, and POCs around the world, at this time specifically black communities. I know I said I'd keep this short but sorry! stay safe stay healthy n see you soon hopefully!!