Rule #1... Broken.

*HERE'S THE MAIN BASIS OF THE BOOK! Ahhh finally! 😂*

Briars POV

Rule #1 Appreciate the 'falling' part of being in love while it's happening. Because it doesn't last forever.

Today has turned from one of the worst days to one of the best! I know I said that Myles and I have to stay friends, but after today, I don't know. I can't explain how I feel, but it's just like I did 3 years ago. All of a sudden a wave of exhaustion hit me. I just want to sleep... "BRIAR ANNE NOLET." WHAT THE HELL! That scared the life out of me. Imagine walking up the stairs in the dark and all of a sudden someone screams your name. I stop short in my tracks and my eyes grow wide upon recognising the voice.... Oh no. I turn on my heel to look into the dimly lit living room and I'm almost blinded by the lights suddenly turning on, revealing an extremely angry mother. "Where have you been?" She says, quieter now, but no less intimidating. I slowly walk down from where I was on the stairs and stand in the living room doorway. "I-I.. Erm I" I've never been that good of a liar when it came to saying it in person. "Briar." She says, indicating for me to speak, waiting for an answer. "I sent you a text" I finally said, barely audible, but she heard. "I saw the text and was actually glad, I had to stay for a bit longer at work but I got home an hour ago, and you should have definitely been home before me. The CDC is pretty far Briar, but its not hours away. Where were you?" She responded, more calmly this time. Why is she being so chill? She's rarely like this. "Practice was really draining and on the way home, erm, Jessy thought we should get some food, she knew this diner and-" I begun, but she cut me off. Crap. She's seen right through my lies. "It's fine Jessy's mum messaged me just before you walked in, she got a call from the CDC saying Jessy will barely be competing this season, I understand." Erm what? Okay so that's a better story than I could ever come up with - It was to cheer Jessy up. I'm not arguing with that. "So you've eaten?" She asked, no longer caring about me being late. I nodded and smiled, glad that I've gotten away with it. "Great, that means I don't have to cook, Abby's staying at a friends and your dad's working late too." She continued on. Seeing that this conversation was over I run upstairs and let myself collapse into my bed. I'm so tired, I could just.....

*Buzz!* What the fu- *Buzz!* I lazily open my eyes and see my phone ringing. Thanks for waking me up unknown number. I grab the phone, annoyed, an answer. "What." I'm too tired for sincerity today. "So... Are we meeting today or what?" Erm no. Who even is this? I had plans with Jessy but this is definitely NOT Jessy. "Speaking?" I can't be bothered for this. "Seriously? " the voice replies. Well nah. I'm kidding. Note the sarcasm. "Dead" I reply bluntly. "It's me Myles, I guess I never gave you my new number." Wait. Myles? I instantly perk up. "Oh hey Myles, I didn't realise it was you" I say in a softer, more friendly voice. "I figured" He replied with a laugh. His laugh's so damn cute. Wait. What does he mean 'are we meeting today' I saw him like 4 hours ago. Its only 11. But it's still light out? Hold up. Please don't say I've slept for over 15 hours!? "Hey erm Myles, what day is it?" I awkwardly ask. "Saturday" he says in a questioning voice, obviously confused as to why I was asking. Dammit. How have I slept 15 hours and still feel tired? "I err, kind of don't remember falling asleep and... now its 11am" I say embarrassed. "Typical B, get dressed and meet me at the old park we used to go to at 12:30pm." He states. Before I can even reply he hangs up, looks like I'm going to the park then.

Wow I haven't been to this park in ages, but it hasn't changed a bit. I see Myles leaning on a tree and happily walk over to him. When he sees me he breaks into a huge smile and I feel butterflies in my stomach. Awwww. We both sit on the grass under the tree and joke about for a bit. Then suddenly "Looks like you two are having fun" an extremely familiar voice says from behind us. In sync, Myles and I look up to see Jessy standing there with Shelby, a girl we used to go to school with. Great, what a way to kill the mood. I guess I should try to make up with her now then.  I stand up and begin "Jessy, I-" before I can even get into what I want to say she stops me. "Don't bother B, You know I covered for you yesterday when your mum texted my mum asking where you were. I thought you would have come to your senses by now, but obviously not." She said loudly, gesturing over to Myles. Wow, that was rude. Come to my senses? There's nothing wrong with me hanging out with Myles. Fine, maybe I want it to be more than just 'hanging out' but that's none of her business. "You know what B, Have fun with guy who dumped you then ran away, I can't wait to see what your parents will say." She said bluntly, she then turned around with Shelby and walked away. "Briar?" I hear Myles quietly ask. "I'm fine" I reply quickly. I don't want him to know that it got me, I don't want him to see me weak again. I sit down and we start to talk again but I'm not really paying attention. My mind's too preoccupied. Jessy's right. If I got back with Myles then I'd have to hide it from my parents, and I'd probably lose all hope of ever getting my best friend back. But I can't help what Myles makes me feel. It's like he has powers over me. But I miss my best friend. I don't want to feel this way anymore. I don't want to fall for him again. But some things are inevitable. Rule #1 officially broken.

1157 words

This is what I meant by her 'rules' 😂 It will basically go over all the rules then there might be a final few chapters. I struggled to write this, I didn't know how to go with it but I ended up liking the ending. Updates might be slow because school's already killing me😣 Thanks again for reading guys!!!💜💜