Comfort

Myles POV

About half an hour later I hear my phone buzz and see a text from Briar telling me she's outside. I have no idea what this is about, but if it's about us getting back together, I'm not here for it. My parents must've been asleep by now, but I made sure to be as quiet as possible going downstairs to open the door. I see Briar sat down on my door step facing the street. She slightly glances back when she heard the door open but doesn't make any effort to get up. I guess we're gonna do this outside then, at least we don't have to worry about my parents waking up when we inevitably start shouting at each other. I keep the door unlocked, but place it together and sit next to her by the step. I wonder which one of us will end up starting the fight this time. "Look, Briar you-" I begin to speak, stopping when I turn to see her face. Her eyes are red and puffy and she has tears rolling down her cheeks. Her mouth was slightly agape, and looking closely I see her hair was messy, like she had been tugging on it, and she was just staring off into the distance, probably not even registering the fact I had started speaking. "Oh my God" I quietly mumble, "B, what happened?". She opens her mouth slightly and goes to speak, but no sound comes out, only sniffling. I place my arm around her shoulder and pull her into my chest. She doesn't reply and instead starts to cry harder into my arms. Was she not allowed back to the dance company?
"He- He's gone!" she says through hysterical cries, barely comprehensible. It takes me a moment to catch on to what she was saying, who was gone? Then I realised, she was taking about her dad. Oh my god. I knew he was bad, but I thought he was stable, I was expecting for him to make a full recovery and be back home with Briar soon enough, I was waiting for him to come round here shouting at me for breaking his daughters heart.

I slightly pull Briar away from my chest and I brush her hair from her face so I could properly see her. Her lip was quivering, her cheeks tear stained, makeup smudged and her eyes were bloodshot. God I love you so much, I wish you never had to feel like this. "Oh B" I murmur and pull her back into me for comfort. I don't know what to do. I don't know how to make her feel better, I feel helpless. Her breath begins to slowly steady as her sobs begin to fade away. She always was a strong one. Suddenly her phone starts to vibrate and she grabs it straight away, "Bri, you don't have to answer that" I cut in, she's emotional right now and she needs time, away from people. She shoots me a look and I didn't make an effort to say anything else, instead she answers the call and puts it on speaker. The caller sounded like she was crying also, attempting to speak through tears.
"Briar, it- it's Abby. You need to get back to the hospital now, it's urgent." and the line disconnected.

559 words

A/N- wow, erm I haven't updated since October. I really want to apologise for not updating and being inactive on practically all my books, and also I haven't officially thanked you guys for 5k 💘. I don't actually know what happened but I sort of, fell into this funk? I guess you could call it that but I had no interest of updating and I felt like everything I wrote was a load of rubbish. Anyways, I'm active again on here and I'm trying to update at least this book every week. Thanks for reading guys 💙