Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The wind blew softly around her body, whipping up her hair and soothing her injured arm.

Her heart hummed silently in her chest as she felt her muscles slowly begin to relax, her thoughts quiet as she pursed her lips and took a few slow breaths.

When she felt her breathing calm once again, Marcia opened her eyes and raised her arms, pulling the string of the bow back until it brushed the corner of her lips.

Feeling completely alone and protected, Marcia gazed down the shaft of the arrow and into the distance.

Breathing out, Marcia released the arrow.

Watching its path through the air, Marcia felt her lips tug into a small smile when she saw where it landed.

Marcia let the bow hang by her side as she hurried forward and tugged the arrow from the thick bark where it had hit the circular target with precision.

“You’re good.” Dareios remarked as he watched her hit the target for the tenth time.

Marcia thought about it for a moment before she replied.

“My parents taught me.” The smile that began to creep on her lips died away slowly as she dreaded to think where they were now.

Dareios quirked an eyebrow at her words, “Interesting.”

Marcia gave herself a small smirk as she returned to her position behind the hospice, “You have no idea.”

“May I?” Dareios held out his hand and Marcia sadly gave the bow back to him.

“Gratitude,” Marcia smiled, “For letting me use it. I did not mean to intrude.”

“Nonsense,” Dareios took his place and shot the arrow at the tree, his body seeming relaxed, “Your friend, if you do not mind me saying so, seems distracted.”

Marcia looked over her shoulder and towards the hospice where Lazarus remained inside. He had not moved for a day now.

Marcia was eager to get back on the road but Lazarus took his time in examining each tapestry and artefact hoping to discover more about his parents.

Sighing inwardly, her fingers began to tug at the bandage on her wrist but she said nothing. There was nothing to say.

Dareios took the hint and changed the topic, “I miss this.” He sighed with pleasure as he felt the arrow shoot forth from the bow.

“What do you miss?” Marcia frowned.

Dareios rested the bow on the ground as he turned and looked at her, “The thrill of battle. The way everything falls silent just before the charge. The way your entire body seems to come to life.”

Marcia watched carefully as Dareios’s eyes seemed to grow distant, his words echoing what her heart yearned for.

“Ah, ignore me.” Dareios waved it off and went to retrieve his arrow.

Looking over her shoulder once last time towards where Lazarus remained inside, Marcia turned back to their host.

“Dareios?” Marcia stepped forward, an idea lighting up her eyes.

“Yes?” Dareios asked as he inspected the arrow head.

“What would you say if I told you that you could feel the thrill of battle one more time?”

Dareios lifted his head slowly and looked upon her, his eyes narrowing in confusion.

But Marcia simply smiled because she knew what she had to do.