Chapter 54

Chapter 54

Trajan turned, his cape billowing out behind him slightly, and observed Marcia approaching through the darkness.

"Ah, Marcia," Trajan waved her through and his guards stepped aside, "How wonderful that Lazarus has won, a true wonder with the sword he-"

Marcia could not contain her anger any further. "Hypocrite," She hissed softly, her eyes unflinching from his.

Trajan frowned and his prominent chin seemed to jut out slightly, "Pardon?"

"Marcia!" Lazarus hurried towards them but was halted by the Emperor's guard.

"Let him pass," Trajan barked at the men who were hidden in the sudden descent of the night.

"Marcia?" Lazarus walked to her side, his body instantly warmed by the torch in her hand. Lazarus saw that her knuckles were white from where she was gripping it tightly.

"He lied." Marcia spoke softly or else she feared she would scream.

Lazarus looked at Trajan from the corner of his eyes, "What do you mean 'he lied'?"

"He speaks of peace and yet I found prisoners awaiting deportation back to Rome, and for slavery I presume." Marcia called.

Polonius and Trajan shared a look of concern.

"The peace you spoke of," Marcia was once again talking directly to the emperor, "who exactly did that apply to?"

"Yourselves, of course, and any who follow you."

Lazarus frowned, "What of those still in servitude throughout your empire?"

The corner of Trajan's eyes creased slightly, "You surely cannot believe that I could, or would, free all of them."

A tense silence passed between them as Lazarus realised how big of a mistake he had made.

"Surely," Trajan continued to break the silence, "You cannot wish to continue in this manner."

"That is not for you to decide," Marcia interjected quickly.

"I am afraid that you are wrong," Trajan turned to Marcia, "Lazarus has just killed an officer of the Roman Army. How his life continues now is precisely for me to decide." Trajan asked.

Lazarus flushed, "But that was-"

"A deal? Yes, it was. And should you renegade on that deal you shall be declared an enemy of Rome and hunted down for punishment of this crime."

Trajan took a step towards them but Lazarus held his ground.

"I would take the offer, young man," Trajan spoke softly, convincingly, "Surely your siblings have lost enough family members for the time being."

Lazarus narrowed his eyes at the Emperor.

"I find it difficult to presume," Marcia's voice carried a hint of humour to it, "that you could track us down whilst saving your camp simultaneously." Marcia dipped the torch slightly as if it was bowing to him.

"What?" Polonius turned with the Emperor and looked back at their camp.

Lazarus looked too and saw that the soft amber glow he had seen previously had morphed into twenty foot high flames, licking at the black night sky, and it was spreading fast.

Soon the fire would consume every tent, every provision and every weapon within its reach. The Roman Army would starve before they reached Rome.

Everyone stood for a moment and regarded the fire curiously until the Emperor spun and snarled at them, "I shall just kill you both now. Guards!"