Chapter 30

Chapter 30

"They could not have gotten far," A soldier informed Octavia as she stared at the body by her feet, "If we leave quickly, we can catch up to them."

Octavia continued to look at the dead archer that lay on the ground, "No."

"Commander?" The guard frowned, not wanting to question her but still confused by her answer.

"Octavia," Hadrian stepped forward, "We cannot afford to allow Marcia to reach the camp. We should send out a party-"

"-I said no," Octavia lifted her head and glared at Hadrian, his brown eyes narrowed in confusion, "I want you to organise a work shift and fix the perimeter where the fire has weakened it."

"You're just going to allow them to escape?" Hadrian whispered in anger, "What if Marcia heard something about-"

"-She heard nothing," Octavia turned and snapped at him, "My decision is final."

Hadrian, correctly, remained silent when they heard Polonius arrive with a handful of his own soldiers.

Hadrian turned until he was stood beside Octavia, showing his loyalty despite their disagreement moments earlier.

"General," Octavia greeted him.

"Commander," Polonius bowed slightly, his grey eyes murky with intrigue, "I hear that you have misplaced your prisoners."

Octavia breathed slowly, trying to remain calm as she heard the condescending in his voice.

Polonius looked around at the guards present before he turned back to her with an arched eyebrow, "You are not going after them?"

Octavia put on her most diplomatic smile, "No. They shall come to me, when the time is right."

"You must forgive me, Commander," Polonius challenged her, "But it seems to me that you are leaving the fate of a war to chance."

"Not chance, General," Octavia kept smiling though she imagined sinking her blade into his throat, "Knowledge."

Marcia shall return to Krista and tell her exactly what Octavia had allowed Marcia to witness, without realising she was witnessing anything at all at the time.

And Krista shall react in the only way she knows how; to attack. Once she did, Octavia will have her.

"In the meantime, General," Octavia asked Polonius, "I would be grateful if you could post additional guards on the perimeter whilst we get the fence fixed."

Polonius shared a look with Hadrian, judging where he stood in this situation, before he nodded, "Of course, Commander. I shall see to that straight away."

"You have my gratitude," The smile was lost from Octavia's face the moment Polonius turned his back on her.

When he was out of earshot, Octavia turned to Hadrian, "I have a job for you, which I need you to execute with all your stealth and experience."

Hadrian knew that this was not about re-building the fence, "Commander?"

"I need you to organise two parties of your best warriors. Send one to Greece and one to Britannia."

"Britannia?" Hadrian frowned, not seeing the plan, "What is it they are to do there?"

The smile returned to Octavia's face, "They are going to help us organise a small family reunion."

* * *

They continued walking as dawn rose over the horizon, only stopping to rest once they were confident they were not being followed.