Chapter 49

Chapter 49

A bitter cold wind had begun to sweep the land as everybody crowded themselves onto the ledge, hobbling and limping their way up the steps.

A few people had to be pulled back over the edge when they leaned over too far, trying to catch themselves a better glimpse of the duel which had broken out on the battlefield.

Lazarus was struck with a feeling of helplessness, and he hated it.

The display of Krista, their leader, battling Rome even when her army had been retreated gave the men and women around him a new burst of life.

Those that had been crying in pain were now rallying on the ledge, chanting Krista's name into the sky.

Lazarus doubted she would hear them, they were only a handful and she was too far away, but the image made his heart burst with pride.

Marcia was closest to the edge, her eyes scanning the crowd of soldiers and he knew that she was looking for her own parents.

If they were to believe Varinius then they were dead, including his father and uncles.

But Varinius had also told him that his mother was dead also, and yet clearly she was alive so Lazarus was not about to believe anything he had to say just yet.

Lazarus was about to tell Marcia this when someone yelled down the line.

"We need to do something!"

"Yes," Someone else shouted, "We cannot leave them alone. Krista would not leave us."

"But what can we do?" Another person answered; their voice hesitant and scared as they looked around at their small fleeting numbers.

Slowly and purposely, every pair of eyes turned to look at him.

Lazarus swallowed around the lump in his throat as it had been unconsciously decided that, without Krista or the others, it fell to Lazarus to lead them.

He stared into each of their eyes and his throat grew uncomfortable at what he saw.

He saw human beings, each with their own fears, worries and ideals. Each of them had been dragged from their home, either by force or servitude, and had ended up here.

These people, these ordinary folk, which had been called to arms to defend their freedom, were bleeding profusely from wounds and their bones were splintered and bandaged.

And yet here they stood ready to return to battle for the woman that held the name 'Krista', even though it surely would mean their deaths.

He looked towards Marcia, and he saw the same fire burning in her eyes that shone with tears. Tears for her parents whose fate she did not yet know.

To discover the truth, Lazarus gave her a small nod "We are going out there."

Marcia's eyes closed briefly in relief.

A collective cheer sounded around them, but Lazarus could see a few people looking worried and scared.

He knew that they must have been relieved to come off the battlefield, grateful to still be alive, but now he was ordering them to return there, to the same place they had just escaped.

"The decision is up to you," Lazarus added, "Those who wish to accompany me shall meet at the gate in five minutes, bring your swords. Those too injured shall remain here and await our return."