Chapter 36

Chapter 36

A fog had descended upon them, flowing in from the forest floor it gathered lightly around their calves, clinging to the morning dew.

The sun had begun to rise as Hadrian returned to Octavia's side after inspecting the patrol which now hid in the forest, "The men are in place."

"Magnificent," Octavia complimented him as she stood in all her glory.

With very little wind, her crimson cape, secured to the armour on her shoulders, ran smoothly down her back before resting a few millimetres off the ground.

The colour contrasted beautifully with her gold-plated armour and the helmet which rested upon her head, marking her position as Commander.

Hadrian looked over his shoulder at the rising sun, "It's nearly time," He looked to the children that were stood a few feet to Octavia's right, "Are you sure about this?"

The children's wrists and ankles were bound in iron, their small bodies shivering in the brisk morning air.

Octavia turned to him slowly, the pale mane on her helmet swinging slightly as she did so, and settled her gaze onto his.

Hadrian gave a sharp nod, knowing he had overstepped the line, and turned back to face the front, placing his hand on the sword at his hip as he did so.

Taking a steady breath he looked around them at the other men, stood like statues in their positions, unfaltering.

Almost in the middle of the battlefield, it appeared that their small group of a dozen men, including himself and Octavia, were completely isolated and alone.

However, Hadrian knew differently. He had placed a further dozen men in the forest surrounding them.

If Argyle was serious about this surrender then he would adhere to their terms and bring only who they had instructed, in which case the reinforcements would not be needed.

However, if Argyle changed his mind then Octavia was not going to let the opportunity go to waste.

Hadrian looked back at the children once again, watching as the girl looked towards the fort in anticipation.

She knew that her parents were coming, she had been told as much, and right then, after everything, all she wanted was to feel their arms around her.

"Where are they?" Hadrian looked back towards the sun, it was nearly half-way over the horizon.

"They shall be here," Octavia replied calmly, not moving her eyes from where the path would be if the fog dissipated.

"How can you be sure?"

"They cannot afford a war with Rome," Octavia told him, "The rock slide at the mountain pass had been an effort to delay the reinforcements."

"One that was pointless," Hadrian muttered. He had received word a day later informing him that the reinforcements had missed the port due to bad weather and decamped at the next town.

They had no reason to use the mountain pass, and would arrive within the day.

The air was bitter against his flesh and he was resisting the urge to shiver when he spotted movement on the hill.

A second later a soldier signalled them from further ahead.

"They're here," Hadrian informed Octavia, who seemed to stand taller.

They did not have to wait long before a small cluster of people emerged over the small mound, hurrying towards them through the mist that gathered at their ankles.