Chapter 47

Chapter 47

"Get some more wood," Lazarus shouted to anyone that would listen as he pulled a passing man over to the gate, "We need to barricade it up."

"It's not going to stop them," someone cried in despair from behind him.

Lazarus turned to see a young boy, barely older than fourteen, sat on the floor rocking back and forth with blood staining his face, "Nothing will stop them. They're- They're going to kill all of us!"

Lazarus saw people stopping what they were doing to look at him.

"Hey!" He walked across and pulled the boy to his feet but it did not stop his muttering.

"They're going to kill all of us," His eyes were wide and shining with tears, there were streaks down his cheeks where they had run through the blood on his face.

"Hey!" Lazarus shook him and the boy turned his eyes to look at Lazarus as if he had only just realised he was there.

Lazarus paused for a moment when he saw the terror in them and he loosened his grip, "You're not going to die, now go and help the wounded into the hospice."

"But-"

"But nothing," Lazarus growled, "Now go and help!" He pushed him towards the hospice.

As he watched him stumble towards the hospice, Lazarus saw Marcia hurrying over to him. She was carrying a large bucket of water with bandages draped over her arm.

She saw the people barricading the gate behind him, "Is this everyone?"

She looked around at the handful of people that had returned. There could be no more than fifty and nearly all of them were moaning in pain as they sat on the ground, cradling broken arms and bloodied heads.

Lazarus nodded as he turned to Marcia as a wave of nausea hit him, "I do not know what to do."

"What do you mean?" Marcia frowned.

"My mother- she's the leader. Your parents are leaders. They're the ones that always know what to do but I'm- I'm just me. I've never been in a war before." Lazarus's breathing trembled as he thought about the huge weight that had descended upon his shoulders.

Was this how his parents felt all the time?

"Me neither," Marcia reminded him, "But people are looking to us now, you in particular."

"Yes, but I don't know what to do. What can I give them?" Lazarus looked around and saw the way people were looking at him from the corner of their eyes in dubious belief.

Others abandoned civility altogether and just stared at him outright. Lazarus felt as if he was on trial.

"We give them the same thing our parents always did."

Lazarus arched his eyebrows.

"Hope," Marcia clarified with a huff.

Lazarus wasn't sure he had any hope left for himself let alone everyone else.

He looked back at the gate, "Have you- Have you seen . . ."

Marcia shook her head, "No. But don't worry," she hastened to add, "I'm sure they are fine. If they heard the horn, they'll be making their way back. They'll know that we're here."

Lazarus turned to her, "You don't believe that, do you?"

Marcia turned to walk away, "I- I have to take this to the men."