Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Sneaking back into the fort, Lazarus and Leonidas crossed the courtyard and straight for Argyle’s room where everybody had gathered.

Lazarus entered the room first, the smell of food making his stomach rumble, and smiled reassuringly towards his parents who were sat at the table with Frieda and Diomed.

His mother did not get up immediately to see if he was okay, instead she took his word for it and Lazarus felt a small burst of pride wave through him at his parent’s approval.

But he knew they still had a long way to go before they were completely comfortable with him fighting.

Lazarus turned and saw Marcia sat at the table.

Her back was to him and Lazarus took a quiet step forward, ready to surprise her, when a new figure stepped forward from the back of the room and sat opposite her.

A smile was on his lips as the pair instantly fell back into a conversation that ran freely and with laughter.

“Oh,” Marcia mumbled when she spotted Lazarus hovering beside her, “You’re alive then.”

Lazarus nodded, his eyes glued to the new man. His eyes were a piercing blue with olive skin, his jaw covered in a light dusting of stubble.

Despite Lazarus’s presence the man refused to look him in the eye, instead making a show of eating his stew and watching Marcia.

Marcia gave an audible sigh at Lazarus’s behaviour, “Lazarus this is Gallus. He is Argyle’s second in command.”

Lazarus frowned, a tone of mistrust in his voice, “Why haven’t we seen you before?”

Gallus laid his bowl down before slowly turning his head to look up at Lazarus, “I do not need to explain my whereabouts, but because you are Marcia’s friend, I shall tell you.”

Lazarus bristled.

“I was away gathering supplies and men,” Gallus took a long drink from his cup, “Since you are so willing to throw them away for nothing.”

“I-” Lazarus took a step forward, about to challenge him, when Leonidas intervened.

“We have information that Argyle needs to hear. Where he is?” Leonidas looked around, his brows furrowing in the middle when something else struck him as odd, “Where is Cato?”

Lazarus saw the way his parents bowed their heads, averting their gaze whilst Diomed seemed intently focused on his supper.

“Frieda?” Leonidas spoke her name in such earnest that the Briton could not refuse him. Her mind going back to all the times he had saved her life.

Frieda got to her feet and watched Leonidas with sympathy, “Cato’s with Argyle.”

Leonidas did not seem to understand her words when the heavy silence bore through his mind and he finally understood.

His jaw clenched in betrayal, “Where?”

Frieda swallowed, “They’re in your room.”

Leonidas tore from the room with speed. His mind unable to comprehend what was happening as he ran through the streets.

He could hear people behind him, calling his name, but Leonidas did not care. He needed to get to Cato.

Rage was gripping his chest as he turned onto the street, their rooms in view.