Author's Note

Author's Note

Pulvis et umbra sumus. We are dust and shadows. - Horace.

* * * 

So, we have come to the end of the 'Gladiator' series and I just wanted to say a huge 'THANK YOU' to everyone who read, voted and commented on any part of the book. I could not have completed this journey without you and you have my gratitude.

I have loved writing every word in this book except for few scenes which I deeply wished that I did not have write, though I guess these are the struggles every writer faces.

Now, for fictional purposes only, I have tweaked a few historical events and now I must set the record straight.

Firstly, unlike the first two instalments of the series with Pompeia, Emperor Trajan was a real Emperor of Rome. His name was Marcus Ulpius Trajanus (Trajan for short) and was born most likely in 52AD. By the age of 33 he commanded the Seventh Legion 'Gemina' when Trajan received news that he had been adopted by the Emperor Nerva who saw Trajan, with his military fame, as a perfect heir to his throne.

Nerva died in 98AD however Trajan did not return to Rome until a year later which was a triumph as jubilant crowds rejoiced at his arrival. The new Emperor entered the city on foot and embraced each of the senators and walked among the ordinary people which increased his favour among the masses.

Throughout Trajan's reign there was an ever increasing programme of public works. The road networks in Italy were renovated, bridges were built and provisions for the poor were made, especially for children. Special imperial funds (alimenta) were created for their upkeep, a system which was still in use 200 years later.

The second rectification I must make is that in the year 102AD, the year this book was set, there was no uprising from Gaul. Rather Rome was at war with Dacia, modern day Romania, until the year 106AD when Dacia was annexed from the Roman provinces.

According to Loannes Lydus in the 6th Century, Trajan returned to Rome in 106AD with 'the sum of five million gold and twice as much silver'. This allowed Trajan to hold 123 straight days of gladiatorial games, including fights between as many as 10,000 pairs of gladiators and the death of 11,000 animals. Embassies from as far away as India came to Rome to pay respects to the man who was commonly being regarded as the greatest Emperor since Augustus.

Thirdly and finally, it was hinted throughout the book that Britannica had not yet be conquered by the Romans. This is not true. By the year 77AD the Romans had defeated the last of the resistance tribes in the North, making all of Britain Roman. The Romans remained in Britannia until the year 410AD when they were recalled to Rome, which was under attack from barbarian tribes. Eventually, in 476AD Romulus, the last of the Roman Emperors, was overthrown by the Germanic leader Odoacer, who became the first Barbarian to rule in Rome. After 1000 years, the Roman Empire was no more.

And, alas, after three books this series is also at an end but I cannot give it up so I have begun to upload short stories and short excerpts from the trilogy based around each main character. 

It is called 'Gladiator of Rome:Short Stories'. You should be able to find it if you go through my profile page so please go and check it out and tell me what you think. Thank you. 

I hope you all return to read them and enjoy them as much as I do.

Gratitude,

Melissa A.K.A Tall_Girl

* * * 

P.S. As always, I leave you with a list of the songs I listened to the most whilst writing this book.

Sam Smith - Like I Can, Latch, I've Told You Now.

Ben Haenow ft Kelly Clarkson - Second Hand Heart.

Jess Glynne - 'I Cry When I laugh' Album.

Train - Bulletproof Picasso

Jamie Lawson - Wasn't Expecting That.

Years & Years - Eyes Shut.

Free - All Right Now.

Dotan - Home.

Macklemore ft Ryan Lewis - Downtown.

R.City - Locked Away.

Walk The Moon - Shut Up And Dance.

Killswitch Engage - Always.

Jessie J - Flashlight.

Annie Lennox - Into The West. 

The 'Gladiator' Trilogy in order:
1. GLADIATOR OF ROME
2. GUARDIAN OF ROME
3. DESCENDANTS OF ROME
4. GLADIATOR OF ROME:SHORT STORIES.