Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Brushing unruly strands of blond hair out of her eyes, the young girl raced through the cobbled streets of Rome.

Her legs ached from running for so long and her chest felt tight but she needed to keep going; she needed to find them.

She had awoken from her vantage point outside the tavern to find four horses missing; ever since, she had been on hot-feet trying to catch up with her quarry.

Apologising as she clipped a man with her shoulder, making him stumble, but she knew she could not stop.

Her eyes flickered over her surroundings, hoping to remain hidden and protected, but as she turned a corner, following the stream of people, she saw it.

She had been travelling all morning, with her eyes stuck on what was directly in front of her that she did not see it until it was directly upon her.

The Colosseum, grand and magnificent, towered over her head in perfect architecture.

As she stared up at the horror that separated Rome from all the other empires, the girl found a small chill run through her body, her thoughts turning to the masses of men and animals that had found their deaths on the sands.

Pausing for too long, she glanced over her shoulder and spotted the roman soldiers approaching, the crowds parting in fear.

She needed to hurry.

But in the heart of the Roman Empire, it was only a matter of time before she was discovered.

* * *

Krista stared at Octavia’s back as they were led through corridors, up a flight of stairs and through the stands of the Colosseum.

But as they came before the royal box, the public beginning to arrive and fill the seats, they were stopped.

“Your weapons,” A guard stepped forward, his hand outstretched ready to take her sword from her.

Krista’s hand instantly reached for the handle at her waist.

Octavia narrowed her eyes slightly, “We cannot let you before the Emperor so armed,” Octavia turned her stare on the others, “None of you.”

In their minds they knew she was correct. Krista had, after all, been previously hunted for supposedly killing one Emperor of Rome not to mention killing a Commander of the Roman Legions.

So they handed over their swords although Krista knew Frieda had more daggers concealed than an armoury.

She would not mind lending one to Krista if the need so arose. Krista was finding her age beginning to creep upon her.

The royal box, as it had become known, was separated into three sections.

The emperor, with his most trusted advisers and friends, remained in the central box with a larger section on either side to seat the extensive senate and any extended family that may attend.

Krista glanced up towards the central box, her eyes trailing over the empty throne and the pillar behind it.

Even now, Krista could hear the sound of the trident clashing against the stone and the screams of the crowd.

She was broken out of her reverie when the Emperor arrived.

He was older than most with mature features. His jaw was wide with a straight nose. His tanned skin was less than smooth but his dark hair, with a slight fringe, was lustrous and thick.