Chapter 7

''Dear Ava,'

 It had taken all of her strength to open the letter and all of her willpower not to break down in front of James. With shaking hands, she had pulled the letter out of the wrapping and opened it. A tear rolled down her cheek as she saw his handwriting again. But there was no comfort found as the next words read,

'All I know is that it is someone close to us. I don't know who, but I deduce this from the fact that he knew where I lived and worked and my college. I am trying my best to get through this. If it doesn't work out, just know that it is someone close. If you search, don't trust anyone.'

Those almost 50 words just gave her chills. 'Someone close?' Whatever was done to Mason was done by someone they knew? That thought was enough to distress her. 'Why would anyone want to do anything like this to Mason?' She read further.

'Someone broke into the apartment today. Yesterday, they left death notes, and threatened me with messages. I thought it was a joke until it got serious. I trust you and no one else. James will help. Please help me.'

Mason was pleading and another tear made its way down her cheek. 'What had happened to Mason before he was.....he was murdered? Everything feels so serious now. After Mason died, I received the letter, and now this. Mason's house was upturned? He was chased even at our college. Why Mason, why did you hide. This wouldn't have happened if you had told us'

James could see the wheels turning in Ava's head. He could see that she was going to blame herself for this. After reading the letter, he was also in shock. Breaking into someone's house was a crime. Mason could have gone to the police, why did he not, then? And should they? All these thoughts were troubling James. But now was the time to try to find the culprit,

"Ava, anyone who could do this?" James asked after a while. Ava had now calmed down. Her face was no more looking pained.

"No...," Ava whispered. "Who would even do this? Something like this? And now, he is someone I know? Why?" Ava was now frustrated. As she analyzed the situation with a calm mind, she understood the madness. A close person had passed away and another close person was the offender. The reality of the situation was catching up with her. But she couldn't just stop thinking. She had to give justice for Mason, and so she continued.

"How can we rule anyone down then? I don't know who to blame?"

"Family. Let's start with fam...." James started but he was interrupted. 

"No." Ava said and hesitated before continuing, "Mason's parents passed away many years ago in a car crash. He has no siblings. No one from his family has contacted him in all these years."

"I'm sorry..." James couldn't believe this. What luck a person could have.

"Yeah, that is why Mason was so, so friendly. He never let his past affect him and really took everyone alone under his wings. Liam, became his friend that way. Ollie was the only person who he knew from his childhood days who is still with him now."

"So, now classmates?" James questioned.

"What!?" Ava said immediately. "Mason had so many friends. Even though we are a circle, Me, Liam, Ollie, and Mace, he had lots of friends. No haters. Mason couldn't have had haters if he tried. I know Mason has mentioned someone close, but I can't digest this fact. Why are we suspecting family, why are we suspecting friends? Maybe they could be some co-workers?" Ava was angered now. Who could they take a suspect on?

"Did you know his Co-workers?" James was patient. He now knew why he was the one who got a letter. Ava could be emotional, he had to be rational. He was also very conflicted in suspecting anyone, but, he didn't know these people, so this was easy.

"No...," Ava replied. 

"Then? Ava, someone who you know. That's why you got a letter." James said.

"Then Oliver could help, Liam could......" Ava trailed off, "Why don't they have letters?"

"Why don't they have letters. You are right," James said, "Could this be it..?"

"Absolutely not," Ava replied confidently. "Look, maybe Mason didn't want them in this mess"

"But he would want you?" James said,

"Could be, could be, I don't know. Maybe I , Maybe," Ava tried to find reasons.

"Come on Ava, who are you trying to convince, yourself or me? Huh?" James could only say that Ava looked conflicted. "Just try and think Ava, anything peculiar before or after this thing happened?" James said and Ava was lost in thoughts

"No, how could they, they are his best friends. Best friends live for each other, die for each other, kill for each other, not kill each other. Look, we have been together for the last many years, why would anyone do that?" Ava defended. 

"Suspects, I'm suspecting them, no telling they are guilty." James was patient. He was inclining more and more towards the culprit being someone from Mason's friends.

'I trust you and no one else.' Why would Mason trust Ava and no one else, Liam could be important, Oliver could have played a major role in this investigation.

"Ava, read the letter. He trusts you. Why only you? Why did Oliver not get a letter. Liam was not his best friend, but Oliver? Oliver was important. He should have a letter." James explained.

"He also disagreed that anything else could have happened to Mason. He told me to believe that, that Mason had committed suicide. He almost forced me to believe this." Ava spoke softly, still not sure of what she was saying.

"Yes, so, Oliver could be it?"

"I don't believe it and won't believe it. I'm sorry. I can't do this." Ava was on the verge of tears once again. In a conflicted state of mind, she just couldn't handle this.

"James, I'll see you soon." leaving the letters and James, she rushed out of the building and headed home.

'Mason, What is happening?' was all she could think as she walked towards her house.