Chapter 3

All I wished for was it not to be true. In the past few hours, everything turned around. I had lost Mason, he had supposedly committed suicide. But now, even that wasn't the truth. I had gone with James to find the reason behind Mason's steps to end his life and now... And now it appeared that there was something more than it meets the eye. Someone was after Mason, and we did not know anything about that.

At least I didn't. I knew I had to find answers. Hailing the next cab after exiting from James' apartment, I found myself on Ollie's porch. I know it wasn't the right time to talk to him. He had taken a hard blow of the news, but even my mind was in turmoil. I rang the bell and waited. 

A few minutes later, the door was opened. Oliver looked shocked to see me but then his face went stoic. He moved besides to invite me inside. The house was a mess, no different than mine. Bedsheets lying messed up, clothes strewn on the floor, books fallen, and whatnot. 'Angel of the Night' Ava's eyes began tearing the moment she saw the book. She focused on the task before her.

"Oliver, I...." I started

.

"If you are here to talk about Mason," he sighed, "I don't want to hear anything."

I was shocked by his reply. Oliver and Mason were close-knit friends. They were always together, from the first time we met. Where there was Mason, Oliver couldn't be far behind. It wasn't in Oliver's nature to be closed off. Why would he not want to talk?

"Oliver, I understand, but this is something different..."

"What? What else would you want to talk about?" I finally got a response.

"Oliver, letters!" I just said I did not want to think about all this anymore.

"What? What letters?" Oliver looked confused.

"Oliver, I got a letter from Mason telling me that...." I looked at him to see he was extremely still. He just stood there, without saying a word.

"You got letters from Mace?" he spoke in a soft voice, almost disbelieving what I had said. I nodded.

 "Yes, and they....." I was about to tell him about what the letter to James had mentioned, Oliver must have known something about this, he would help me out.

"No!" he exclaimed. "No!" I did not think he was speaking to me anymore, he was speaking to himself. "What did it say?"

"Well," I started off lightly, "Oliver, mine was just a goodbye, but, James' the letter says that everything is a lie...."

"What is a lie, Ava? Huh? Mason is gone, gone with the wind, he committed suicide. He died, passed away, just like that.."

"No, Mason did not...."

"What? Mason did it. He did it. He didn't come to me with his problems and not to you. He just chose that way out and he did it."

"Look, Oliver, that is what I'm trying to say..." I continued, but he was not having it. Oliver seemed to be fixed on the fact that Mason committed suicide and nothing was off otherwise. My protests to the statement soon became too much for him.

"You even got a letter, Ava. Just.........just go" He looked solemn.

I had been thrown out of Oliver's apartment. He didn't seem to go with the idea that Mason was being followed. Was he just trying to accept everything happening around him? Was this his method of coping? Why was Oliver convincing me against it? 

Wait, did Oliver have anything to do with the person that was following Mason?

'I don't think this is going to end well'

The letter had read. If Mason was in a turmoil, Oliver would be the first person he would approach. So, why did Oliver not know anything about this?

Was Oliver this uninvolved or is even more involved than I think?

I have to go find those letters. They seem to be the only answers.