Chapter 13

This time, it was James set out for a task. He had tried to ask Ava about Oliver, but she was adamantly focused on Noah. James did think it was Noah too. But his mind conflicted. 'Who to blame?' was a question troubling his mind. Mason had given him a part of the responsibility and he was going to help his fellow friend out.

So, James was on the way to Oliver's apartment, thinking of ways he could justify his visit. 'Well,' he thought, 'Grief can do stuff to a person, I could just say I was here to pay respects or something,' James thought as he reached Oliver's doorstep.

Oliver took a long while to come to the door. James was shocked at his haggard appearance. Oliver looked distraught like he had not seen the light of day for a long time. That was partly true, Oliver had excused himself from college lessons for a while, he was returning in a few more days. Ava had told James about when she had talked with Oliver and how he had looked worse, well this was even worse.

"Umm, hi?" James started cautiously. There was a questioning gaze starting to develop on Oliver's rather emotionless face.

"Yes?" his voice was rough. "You are James, why are you here?"

"Yes, I am James, Mason's co-worker, I'm just here for..."

"What?"

"Just wanted to talk with someone"

"Not in the mood."

"I know, I'm sorry, I should have thought this out. Troubling you about Mason's memory was not a good thing for me to do..... But, um, Mason just talked about you a lot, you know, a day before,"

"What?"

"The day before he passed, he did come to work! Although he did not the next day."

"James, I do not want to talk about Mason. I would like it if you go."

"I'm sorry, Oliver, I'll be going. I just, it just, it would have been so good if he had come, or if I had visited, or..." James had never thought about this before. All he had thought about was Mason and his letter. He had promised himself he would not mourn until the person was found. But being strong for Mason, for Ava, was hard for him. Seeing someone breakdown in front of him had his resolve collapsed.

"I know that man, who doesn't wish that?" Oliver spoke. James saw that there was a strange emotion on his face. "I wish I was here when....."

James was shocked at the lack of emotion he found in Oliver's voice.

"Where were you?" he asked.

"A Party... It was someone's freaking birthday party and we were at this bar downtown and...." he went on rambling."I was a, a fucking party when......" a hint of frustration could be heard. "I never knew..."Oliver's voice broke.

"James, just go from here please," Oliver said after a while and the door was shut on his face.

James found Oliver's behavior acceptable. 'People in grief' he thought, ' Strange ways to handle it.' With the newfound information and alibi, James returned home, a little stable. One of his suspects was proving to be less of a suspect. Ava could be right about this one. Maybe, Oliver was just a little closed off and such.

"James....." he was surprised when he saw Ava below his apartment building.

"Ava, I just visited Oliver," James told her.

"What do you mean?" Ava asked, confused.

"Oliver, I visited him, I wanted to know where he was. He looked so distraught, I do not think he was lying.." James said.

"I told you, I told you, James, Oliver is not the one. He is mine and Masons' best friend, What were you thinking all this time?" Ava looked very relieved. An almost smile could be seen on her face.

"Yes, Oliver said he was at a party! And it is very far from Mason's apartment or hotel." James added.

"A party? Really?" Ava asked, surprised. "Oliver was not a social person, to be fair, I had never seen him at places without me or Mason..... Good that he got out of that.."Ava went on not paying attention to James' changing opinion which was clearly reflecting on his face.

"James, NO!" Ava took one look and understood that the suspicions were returning full on.

"Which party, then?" James was once again in the analytical form.

"Let's see, it must be Chole from college! I think she had a party." Ava tried to think more when she was handed a phone.

"Call her."

"James, just.." she tried to reason but to no avail.

"Hey, Chloe!" and their conversion went on a while. Chloe was comforting Ava, even though they weren't best friends, they were good classmates.

Ava was tired easily, she did not need comfort, or she would break down here. "Umm, Chloe, how did your party go!" It was an odd question but it was the true reason behind calling her.

"Party? It went well. Ava, leave that, how are you? How are all of you guys? I haven't seen any of you since the last Uni class and that was two days before....... Before Mason...umm.. Sorry." Chloe trailed away.

"What? None of us?" The atmosphere had suddenly turned cold around them. He looked at Ava to see a petrified look on her face.

"What happened Ava?" James was worried.

She told James to wait.

"No! I guess I saw you at Uni but Oliver and Liam have been absent from their lessons. You mentioned the party, none of you came...." But Chloe's next words could not be heard as Ava hung up the phone.

"Oliver is lying?" Ava asked no one, "Chloe says Oli was not at her party."