Chapter 8

Today was the day I would be finally returning to College. I wasn't sure if I was ready to go back to the life I had before everything happened. But I should do this. I should move on. I took a better look at the place around me. I was currently in my car, in the parking lot of the college area. I could see many people heading inside, coming out, lost in their own world. 

Their life continued as it normally would and I hoped mine would too. I half expected Mason to show up, to open my door for me as we did every morning. But today, there was no one. I had come alone. Back in those times, in the mornings' Mason and I would come here, while on the whole ride we would listen to my favorite music because I would say to him 'Your music taste sucks.' How fun were those times. Now, I played his favorite songs, just to feel close to him. I was pretty sure that I would get stared at and a lot.

With a last sigh, I got out of my car and headed towards the main building. Not many people were looking at me, at least not directly. They were sparing me glances with such pity in their eyes. I didn't want that. Maybe coming back to Uni was not such a good idea. I didn't want to be here, receiving the end of their stares. But, I had to do this, right? With another pep talk to myself, I began to go to my classes. I was about to enter my classroom when I saw Mason's classmates. 

They came to meet me. Last I had seen them was at Mason's funeral. I didn't want to interact with them as more memories would resurface. Last I had seen them was at Mason's funeral. I didn't want to think about Mason's funeral, but, I should since it's now my truth.

"Hey, Ava, how are you?" one of them asked. I knew them very well, but my mind was exhausted to see who I was talking to. Wanting this conversation to end, I gave a short reply. 

" I'm managing." 

" Yeah, everything is really hard" I knew they wanted to talk about Mason, and about me, psychology majors they were, just like Mason. But I couldn't handle this right now.

"I'm sorry but I should be going to class." I slipped inside the classroom and headed to the last bench. It was not a good decision coming to the Uni today.

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"Mason will never be forgotten."

That's the two phrases echoing around. I didn't know how much more of it I could take. 

"Hey, Ava. I'm glad you could attend this class. I heard what happened, so if you need help, you can tell me." said my professor.

I just nodded, having nothing else to say. I tried to focus on my lectures but couldn't. Time flew by pretty quickly as the lecture ended and I went to another. I was functioning throughout the day, but just barely. Finally, all the classes came to an end. 

I was walking through the corridors. I thought of calling James 'Today, I'll have to read another letter' I knew. I had to because there was no way I could ignore them. I was heading outside towards the parking lot, thinking about just that when suddenly, a voice came from behind

"Hey Ava, heard that golden boy is now dead"