Chapter Nine

Kyle stared at the ceiling of the hospital. The swelling in his face had finally vanished. But he had bruising everywhere from his head to his waist. They had his story straight. He was racing his friends down the stairs and fell face-first down two whole flights. His parents and little brother were with him all night until they were forced to go to work  and school the next afternoon. So he woke up alone.

He was watching Sesame Street on the TV for maybe an hour, bored out of his mind, until the nurse finally opened the door.

"Kyle, some friends are here to visit." She said.

"Okay..." He mumbled. Stan and Kenny shoved past her into the room.

"Hey, Kyle!" They both greeted him.

"Hey guys." He said tiredly.

"Your face looks a little better." Kenny mentioned.

"Did you get a concussion?" Stan asked.

"Yeah... and no... The doctor said I just had a broken nose, and my skull fractured a little right here around my eye." He said, pointing to his face.

"That blows," Stan said sadly, "But dude we need to talk to you about something. About... Y/n... And Trent." Stan whispered her name.

"W-what is it?" Kyle looked between them with worry in his red, bruised eyes.

"Uh, NURSE?! Could you give us some PRIVACY please?!" Kenny yelled at the young woman still standing at the door.

"Yeah, don't you have like six other patients to be ignoring?" Stan spat to her as well.

"Oh. Uh... okay..." She said, closing the door behind her.

"Sooo, yeah, Trent Boyett didn't show up at school today because he wasn't approved yet, but he was playing a guitar outside of Y/n's house last night, and singing a song he wrote about her." Kenny told him.

"Huh?" Kyle looked at him.

"Don't worry. He totally sucked at it. He's never even touched a guitar. But she told us she watched him the whole time. And Token said he was trying to climb the side of her house, which, she left that part out." Stan explained.

"So... what does that mean?" Kyle asked. Kenny and Stan looked at each other. Kenny shrugged.

"Dude, Trent Boyett is totally trying to steal her heart." Stan said.

"What...?" Kyle whined, hitting his head against his pillow.

"Don't worry! He has no idea what he's doing. I'm sure he'll mess up big time, and she'll blow him off." Kenny said.

"But... won't Trent Boyett get super emotional about it and like... destroy the town?" Kyle questioned. The two boys just stared at him blankly for a few moments.

"Or like... murder her in a blind rage of uncontrollable sadness." Kenny suggested.

"What?! Ow!" Kyle yelled before rubbing his aching head.

"Dude!" Stan punched Kenny in the shoulder.

"I'm just trying to be realistic." He shrugged.

"Oh god! What do I do? What do I do, you guys- I'm gonna lose her to Trent Boyett, and he fucking broke my face last night!!" Kyle exclaimed.