Chapter 3- Those Grey Eyes

"Oi Everly, walk faster." Said Vincent in that monotone voice of his.

I stopped staring at his nape, shook my head and slightly jogged to his side. Vincent glanced down at me and looked back up front, "have you always had short hair?" He asked.

I paused. What kind of question is that? "Well yeah," I responded, "I haven't thought of growing it out."

"Is that so?" He said while walking and glancing at my hair.

"Yeah." I said while grabbing the tips of my hair. It was pretty short. Neck length straight black hair. Parts of my bangs reached down to my collarbone though. "Why do you ask?" I finally said.

"Well ever since we've met each other, this is the same type of hairstyle you've had." He responded.

I look up at his Adam's apple moving up and down his neck while he spoke. My eyes then drifted to meet his, "I don't know why I always kept it like this. Probably cause it doesn't get in the way." I said softly.

He continued to look at me and then at my hair. He then nodded and looked up front and kept walking.

I wonder why he asked that. Is there anything wrong with my hair? He's never mentioned it until now. He's so odd.

"C'mon children take your seats!" Said one of the staff members.

The tables were made of steel as well as the chairs. They shined brightly due to the lights. Vincent and I then sat down in our assigned seats and soon the tables around us started to fill as well.

We all waited patiently and suddenly I smelled smoke. No way is Vince-

I then look over to find a cigarette dancing in Vincent's mouth. I looked at him in utter shock. His cold grey eyes then glance at mine, "yes?" He said casually.

"Vince you're not supposed to be smoking!" I tell him immediately.

"And?"

"And?! You could set off the fire alarms! This isn't even the place to smoke! We have other people here that do not want to get lung cancer like you do!"

He gave me a smirk as if my words meant nothing to him. He then sucked in as much as he could out of the cigarette and stood up. I stared at him in disbelief and sighed turning my head to face the executives.

Soon, Vincent sat back down next to me and the meeting started, "good afternoon students," said Master Akuno, "I called you all today because there's recently been an outbreak in ghoul numbers."

The whole room fell silent. Ghouls are human like creatures that feed on other humans and ghouls. No one knows why but that's the only way they quench their hunger. A ghoul has an impeccable scent for things. They consist of having red pupils surrounded by black sclera. They are also very fast and depenent on their kagune- their weapon and claws- but they have low stamina due to the Rc cells that make up the kagune.

"This is far dangerous for our species but take in mind that not all ghouls are evil" said Master Akuno calmly, "ghouls have the appearance of humans as you all know and they feed on us as well. Due to this outbreak and for your safety, you'll be provided with a quinque. A human doesn't stand a chance against a ghoul's kagune without one of their own."

I gulped and slowly started to tremble. I've faced a ghoul first-hand. Almost died because of them. And I was too young to see the horrors that they do.

I felt a lump in my throat, my eyes were getting blurry, my skin was getting paler and my heart was racing just like it did that night in the dark alley when I was 14. To this day, I remember everything ever so clearly.

Vincent then glanced at me and exhaled air. He gently took my hand and held it. I looked down at our hands to see that he was rubbing it gently with his thumb.

I looked up to see him. He was staring at Master Akuno, listening intently while holding my hand gently. His grey eyes then glanced to meet mine. The way his eyes stared made me realize that it'll all be alright. That I was safe right here right now and that what happened that night is in the past.

I let go of his hand gently and he placed it back on his lap, continuing to listen to what Master Akuno had to say. Although Vincent is cold, he cares.

"In other news, Mr.Grey's birthday is coming up in a week," said Master Akuno. Everyone then glanced at Vincent in which he gave a slight smirk.

His smirks are so irresistible... Wait what.

"Is that so." Said Vincent smoothly and calmly.

"How old are you going to be turning young Vincent?"

"18 Master Akuno," Vincent responded.

"Very well Vincent." said Master Akuno nodding, "that'll be all for today students. Head back to the dormitories."

All of the students then stood up, bowed down and headed out the room in unison.

"You alright?" Asked Vincent as we both headed back to the elevator.

"Yeah... Thanks for that." I said blushing while looking down.

"For what?"

"Holding my hand to keep me calm."

"You just needed reassurance," he said nodding, "it's hard to get pass something like that, I understand, but I'll make sure something like that doesn't happen to you again."

I then lifted my head and looked at his eyes. He glanced at mine and I gave him a smile. His eyes then drifted away from mine and he awkwardly patted my head, keeping his eyes fixated on the elevator doors closing. Keeping his grey eyes in the same emotion they always are in, emotionless.

Chardonnay here!
How's the story so far? Please leave comments! I hope it's going well. I don't think I do great in writing things ._.
It's the thought that counts right? =w=;
I hope you have a glorious day! Happy reading ~Chardonnay