Chapter 11: Daddy Dearest

After asking five people and getting misdirected a couple of times, I finally found Helen's bedroom. As I was about to turn the doorknob, a familiar scream echoed down the hall, sending my legs in a frantic hurry towards it. I took two steps at a time, the cries growing louder and a film of my childhood rolling behind my eyelids.

"Hayden, not here," my Mother now whispered and I hid behind the wooden column, watching them.

There he was: a fitted black suit and well-kept hair the colour of French Roast coffee. My father was a handsome man, with his broad shoulders and hazel eyes bordered by lashes longer than my own. My mother had pushed herself against the wall, her mind creating a barrier around her so she would be far from his reach. Her hair used to be a rose gold blonde, but right now, it seemed a couple of shades darker. Her curls were entangled and fell across her face.

"Kim, you embarrassed me in front of the partners of the firm," my Father slurred and I could smell the stench of alcohol from where I stood.

"I didn't think it would offend you, I'm sorry," my Mother whimpered. As Hayden took another step towards her, his hands balled up into a fist, the sound of little footsteps caught all three of us off guard.

The younger version of myself ran towards Hayden, hugging him around the waist. She peered up at him, her eyes full of tears. "Daddy, please don't hurt mommy," she cried.

Where was Nick? I wondered, knowing exactly what Hayden's next move was.

"Aubrey, please move," Hayden said and she continued holding on, shaking her head. "Aubrey..."

"Daddy, don't hurt Mom -"

Hayden grabbed the younger version of me and forcefully threw her against the ground. "Aubrey, I said move!"

I couldn't stop my body from shaking and I held onto the column firmly, praying I wouldn't fall. Little Aubrey cried loudly and Hayden bent down, covering her mouth with his hands. "Stop crying," he said through gritted teeth. "You're going to wake people up, stop now."

I still remembered how tightly he used to cover my mouth.

I glanced over at Kimberly and she did nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I stepped around the column, saving myself from the man who hurt me for so many years. "Get your hands off her," I said, the anger evident in my tone. I was surprised that I had the courage to push my Father over and grab little Aubrey in my arms.

"Are you okay?" I asked her and she nodded, biting her bottom lip from crying.

"You look like my little girl," I heard Hayden say and I took a few steps back. He watched me attentively, his stare sending a tremor down my back.

"Don't you ever touch her again," I said and his eyebrows shot up in surprise. I wanted to continue my threat, but knowing my Father was a skilled assassin, already determined my fate.

"Hayden, just let it go," Kimberly finally spoke and I turned around, glaring at her. This was the woman who had left me with this monster.

Kimberly seemed confused by my expression and I looked away, my anger slowly being replaced by anguish.

"Take Aubrey to Olivia," Hayden suddenly said to me. "You saw nothing and you will not speak of this to anyone. Understood?"

I wanted to pound my fists on his chest, I wanted to hurt him the way he hurt me and Nick. But instead, I nodded.

"Okay, good. I still have some unfinished business with my wife."

A part of my wanted to save my Mother, but I knew better then to aid the woman who chose one child over the other. A mother wouldn't choose, she would either take both or none.