Chapter 9: Not A Gala Kinda Girl

Carlos and I walked down to the main lobby and there were several people hovered around the tables, the elevators, the front entrance – everywhere. The halls upstairs were much emptier, I may have passed by two or three people at most. 

I tilted my head back, admiring the chandelier hanging above. There were so many diamonds, I lost count. 

"Carlos, how are you?" someone in a grey suit greeted him, shaking his hand. 

"Great, Dom." Carlos gestured towards me, catching me off guard. I did not intend on integrating with the firm members. "This is Aubrey Shore."

The man smiled, shaking my hand now. "Aubrey, it's a pleasure to meet you."

Carlos took a seat at one of the bar stools and I sat next to him. "Would you like something to drink?"

"I'm underage, but maybe you can sneak me a vodka soda?" I asked, my tone only half joking. Carlos smirked and ordered himself a Jameson and me a coke. Worth a try. 

"You look nervous," Carlos noted and I realized he was watching my fingers as they fidgeted with the hem of my sweater. 

I immediately stopped, holding the glass of coke instead. "I just don't really know anyone here," I admitted. "I met Aiden, Bridgett and Collin briefly yesterday. Literally feels like the first day of school."

Carlos laughed under his breath, putting a hand on my shoulder. "You parents rarely show up to any of these meetings, so I am really not surprised you feel disconnected from the team."

I nodded, amazed at how Amelia knew that claiming I was a Shore would diminish any questions that would jeopardize my stay at Black Onyx. I couldn't help but wonder how long this disguise would keep me safe. I was bound to slip up sooner or later – imposters normally do.

I noticed a familiar blonde walking through the crowd, greeting the members. I realized Carlos was looking at her too, smiling. "Bridgett!" he called out and I sunk in the stool, already seeing where this conversation was headed. Bridgett walked over and she forced a smile at me.

"Carlos, you're back," she started and I noticed her hair and makeup was done. "Just in time for the Gala too."

"I couldn't miss it." He placed his drink back on the table before turning to face her. "Bridgett, sweetheart. Why don't you help Aubrey get ready for the Gala as well? I heard you both met each other."

"No," I rushed and realized I sounded a little too desperate. "I don't want to waste Bridgett or anyone's time. I wasn't planning on going to the Gala."

"Don't be ridiculous, everyone must attend. Plus, it's a great opportunity for you to meet people." Carlos sounded just like Collin and I internally rolled my eyes.

"We shouldn't force her, Carlos," Bridgett cut in, failing to sound genuine. "And I need to help Amelia with her make up as well. I don't think I will have time to fit Aubrey in."

Fit me in? I didn't want to be fit into her busy schedule. "Don't worry, Bridgett. I can't imagine how busy a teenager's schedule really is, but I completely understand. I didn't really bring the right attire for this Gala, so it's best I just stay back."

Bridgett sighed loudly as Carlos continued to look at her, which made her say, "Helen brought a couple of dresses. She's fifteen, but I am sure you can squeeze into one of them. Come on, I don't have all day."

Bridgett walked by the bar and towards the elevators. "You better follow her before she changes her mind," Carlos teased.

I finished my drink and hurried after her. The only reason I even agreed to attend was in case Carlos and the rest of the members questioned my identity. I was a Black Onyx member and needed to start acting like one. Being stubborn and feeling out of place had to stop.