CHAPTER 11: I have to help her.

"Okay so I have a thorough plan." Adam says brightly as we are sitting at Missy's Diner.

"I'm listening." I say absentmindedly stirring my glass of lemonade with the straw.

"So basically what we know is this: One, the ghost is connected to you in a way. Two, Someone close to you is behind the evil. Three, you're definitely hunted by this evil spirit or demon or you are cursed. Four, This girl, Catherine, knows a lot more than she's letting on. Five, you have to find something..." He lists and I nod and take a sip while tucking a piece of my light brown hair behind my ear.

"Yes, that is basically all we know. Okay so what is your plan?" I ask him and he smiles.

"So Catherine said to go someplace safe. Safe meaning my house according to Zayn. So I suggest we take the oujia board in case she struggles to show, and do exactly what we did the first time. We can do it in the basement in my house. My parents are at a business conference, so it is the perfect cover. You can tell your parents you're staying the night at Becca and then you can stay the night in our guestroom. Just in case they have any weird ideas since your aunt Shelby draw some, uh, conclusions...." He trails off with a minor blush, while I chuckle at the memory.

"Yep, that's definitely not something I am going to live off soon... But I think your plan will work. The only worry I have is your involvement. Adam, yesterday in Mr Wong's class was a real danger. I don't want you to get hurt." I say with concern laced in my voice.

It's true. The further that I can keep Adam away from this, the better. What if the "She" Catherine referred to is really bent on hurting me? And then in the process it hurts Adam. If anything happened to him, I'll never ever forgive myself. And what about his parents? Losing one child is bad enough what if-

No. I'm not even going there.

"I am with you 100%. This isn't safe and Catherine told you not to trust anyone, except me-"

"She didn't explicitly mention you." I deadpan and he gives me a playful glare.

"Will you even let me finish?" He laughs with a glim in his crystal eyes.

We smile at each other for what seems like forever. I never fully noticed how beautiful his eyes are. It is this unique light blue colour. It has this crystallized glitter to it. Gosh, he's handsome. The way his smile seems straight out of a toothpaste commercial and his dark brown black hair is definitely fit for a shampoo brand. He is just perfect. And that's just his appearance my life. The way he interacts with people is just amazing. And he's like this after he just lost his sister. He's just really perfect in every way.

He tucks a stray strand of hair behind my ear and trace my jawline. My breathing hitch and my heart starts hammering in my chest. Jeez, I might just pass out in a few seconds. Just as he leans a few centimetres closer over the table, the diners bell jiggles.

I jump in my seat as everything comes back into focus as our moment blows away along with the inflowing wind.

"Hey guys, hope you didn't wait too long." Becca says as she takes a seat next to me.

My thoughts clear and my lungs is finally beginning to work again. I nervously chuckle and scoot up a bit.

"No worries we didn't wait too long. Where's the others?" I ask.

"Oliver and Lilah are still in his car outside and I don't know where Brad is." She says as I discreetly sneak a peek at Adam.

He runs his hand through his hair and meets my gaze. I instantly move my eyes away, feeling the warmth creep up my neck. Out of the corner of my eye, I see him smile softly

Claire, get your game face on. Now isn't the time for weird teenage moments. This is serious shit.

"Oh Becster, before Oliver and Lilah come in, I need you to cover for me tonight just in case my parents look for me." I say and she frowns.

"Uh sure, but why?" She asks and this time I look at Adam for help and not to admire him.

"Claire was just telling me about this ghost at Mountain View, and she needs to you know, play medium." He says smoothly, sounding incredibly believable.

"Yeah and instead of me driving so late, I asked Adam if I can crash at his afterwards. And you know that my parents doesn't know about... Me." I say, relieved that I manage to lie this good.

Well, it's not a complete lie. It is ghost business, my parents doesn't know about any of it, so basically I'm just ommiting some minor details.

Becca shoots me a wide eyed look and manages to communicate with me through her eyes. And by the way her eyes are violently moving back and forth, I'm kind of having a good idea of what she's saying.

"Of course, Claire Bear. I will cover for you, but don't you think-"

"Shoots." Adam whispers as Oliver, Lilah and Brad walks in.

"Don't mention anything to Brad." I say quickly to her when they get there, resulting both Becca and Adam to give me a confused, questionable look

"Hey guy and gals!" Lilah says with a bright smile and engulfs us in an awkward table hug.

"Hey Lils." Becca and I say as everyone falls into comfortable conversation.

Lilah sit next to Becca, with Oliver at the end, leaving Brad to sit next to Adam. Adam is normal and holds a conversation with Oliver and us girls are talking, with Brad glaring at Adam for no apparent reason.

Huh, weird.

As Oliver pulls Brad into the conversation, my mind can't help but think about what Adam and I are going to do tonight.

I mean yesterday in Mr Wong's class was definitely a warning or maybe like someone or something telling me to back off. Even though it presents many dangers, I know in my gut that I have to see this through.

Catherine clearly has a link to me or something. Maybe she is a distant relative or a friend from kindergarten that I can't remember. Or maybe we just know a mutual friend, but either way I have to help her. Even if it is the last thing I do.