𝟬𝟰. hell for the company

CHAPTER FOUR
cut a piece of myself for your life

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐀fter sorting it all out back at Arkadia last night, Elliot was once again, back outside the walls with a team consisting of Kane, Abby, and a few other guards from the Ark. The harsh sunlight flashed across her face like she was the spotlight, which made her disdainfully flick the dark red hood over her head with a permanent frown. Not the least glad that she was there with them instead of Lincoln.

     Eventually, they reached their destination as the truck slowed down to a stop.

    "We're at the Polis city limits. From here, we go on foot," Kane announced. Elliot jumped out of the backseat with a satisfied sigh as she inhaled the fresh air, completely ignoring him. "Lexa's guards will be here soon. All guns and radios stay in the truck. Her people will escort us to the summit."

    First of all, it was completely against her will to come to the summit delegation. For some reason, Kane insisted for her to come, not fully realizing her reputation among the Grounders. She didn't have a kill order on her head, but her fellow people might take it upon themselves to try to kill her for their own amusement and satisfaction. So, no, Elliot did not want to leave her weapons in the truck. Not at all.

     Despite her clear disdain for the sky people, Elliot begrudgingly left her weapons━at least the visible ones inside the rover. Kane eyed her with an eyebrow raised, expecting her to argue. She merely ignored him as she walked forward. Besides, why not show up and make them feel better that she was there at the summit instead of hanging around the Ice Queen? That would certainly calm their nerves.

     Back at Arkadia, Bellamy had approached her before she left for Polis, completely rigid almost as if he was hiding something. He bid her a 'be careful' and went to leave without so much of a smile. Note the sarcasm. Kane had made him stay back despite his protests because of his reckless actions yesterday. But the boy was too stubborn to have something to do that Kane just set him onto the team who were going to Mount Weather.

     Polis hadn't changed. Elliot could barely remember the last time she stepped foot in the ruins of this city. Remnants flashed in her head━memories of a little girl holding on to her mother's hand with her small ones, gripping tightly so she wouldn't get lost in the crowd. Her heart churned. Nothing was going to be the same again. Elliot was no longer that innocent little girl and her mother was dead.

     She found a few familiar faces here and there, but none of them seemed to recognize her━the person she was before she became this devil thing that haunted them in their sleep. Elliot couldn't blame them. Even she couldn't recognize herself in the mirror anymore, the reflection staring back at her with a void in her eye, and the mark across her face that mirrored the monster within her.

     Tugging the dark red scarf around her neck, she placed it up over her lower face, always making sure to keep her head down. The people were now taking notice of them. They looked curious and confused at the sky people for the first time in their territory, and they whispered words of apprehension and distrust among them.

     From the corner of her eye, she saw Kane being offered a portion of food from one of the stalls, by a blond lady with a child. They had kind eyes, and unsure smiles that Kane obviously shared. The man both irritated and intrigued her. How far he had come from being that man who completely disregarded her to this man adamant about reconciling with a civilization far too different from his.

     Elliot had never been so glad to see Indra until now as she marched toward them and shook firm hands with Kane. The chieftain had a grin on her face that she didn't expect from her. It seemed Indra found a new friend from the sky people. Elliot didn't know if she could say the same about her. Everyone back at Arkadia seemed to hate her and were pretty determined to avoid her for as long as they could. She didn't mind.