𝟭𝟳. the root of all suffering

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
i drown them out like i always do

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐄lliot buried herself in hatred that she forgot what it's like to be in peace. Was it her fault or was it theirs? Lost in her own mind, she decided to follow other people's minds so she could at least be useful. Thinking about it now━Elliot had always been a goddamn vessel for someone to use. 

     Then again, why was she letting them again and again? Maybe because people had already broken her so much that some of her was spilling onto the rotting ground. It was her way of coping with slowly losing her mind.

     She was pulled back from her thoughts when she heard the sound of the Grounders' chants start to get louder. Blood for blood, they were screaming. It was nothing new to her anymore, but the sky people must be scared. I mean, who wouldn't? A bunch of scary armed killers were waiting and screaming at them from outside was terrifying enough.

     Elliot snuck out of the infirmary to check the chaos outside the fences, letting out a scoff at the sight of her fellow grounders. As expected. From her peripheral vision, she noticed Abby said something to the two Grounders with the horses and left after that. 

     Whatever it was, Elliot was disappointed, and she turned on her heels to get back to her brother. Call her ruthless, but their lives don't concern her. It shouldn't. She convinced herself. 

     Then her thoughts drifted to a certain man with eyes of dirt and skin of trees, curls of brown that resonated with the wind━a man that constantly invaded her thoughts. She didn't see Bellamy Blake looking back at her from afar as she disappeared into the Ark.

    It will take more than a few words to earn her trust, and even so, she would still do things they would not expect if they did something she didn't like. Then again, she was born into a place where people didn't take no for an answer, and even when you say yes, there will always be consequences.

     Elliot stood next to Octavia as Kane and the current chancellor, Abby, talked to Lincoln about some type of agreement. She was silent the whole time. Besides she had nothing to say. Not to them anyway. Finn Collins was bound to die at the hands of the Commander no matter what they tried to do.

     "I need to know. If we put Finn on trial ourselves, is your Commander going to accept the outcome, even if we decide he belongs in jail?" Abby questioned.

     "Even if she wanted to accept this deal, she'd be dead by morning," Lincoln said truthfully. "She'd know that." 

     "Your people would kill their own leader for being merciful?" Octavia asked in disbelief.

     "For being weak." Elliot spat as she looked at Octavia, the girl avoiding her stare as soon as her cold blue eye landed on her. Her Azgeda side was trying to scratch its way up to the surface. "Finn killed innocent people. If death has no cost, life has no worth. That's how we live."

     "I spent time with your Commander," Kane told the Grounder warrior. "She's a visionary." 

     "And that's why you're all still alive," Lincoln retorted. "If it were up to some at her table, you wouldn't be."

     "Indra?"

     "She leads those voices, yes."

     "She's dangerous, Abby."

     Elliot was quite glad to see that at least one of them knew Indra was a dangerous woman and not to be messed with. They couldn't seem to get it through their thick heads every time. Elliot used to spar with her, and each time, they ended it with their swords at each other's throats. Nobody loses