𝟮𝟮. divine art of subtlety

CHAPTER TWENTY- TWO
the departure lounge of disbelief

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐍umbness always scared Elliot. The loss of sensation. Feeling disconnected from reality. There was a fine line between a numb person and a monster. A delicate boundary between numbness and the potential transformation into a cold, unfeeling, or harmful monster. It scared her because she knew she was just in the middle.

     Elliot was lost in the dark. Her body ached and yet she felt nothing in some parts of her body. All she could hear was ringing and muffled sounds of people screaming for help above her. Above her. The realization struck the Grounder like an arrow wound to the chest. She was buried under stones and dirt and she could not get out.

     She scrunched her face from the sudden pain that shot up to her head. It felt like someone was pricking every part of her skin with a knife. Placing her fingers on her temple, she felt something mushy and wet but her hair seemed to soak most of it. She stared at her hand and sighed from frustration at the sight of blood.

     Disregarding all of her previous thoughts, Elliot tried to think for a second before she aimlessly reached for her weapons that somehow got separated from her. A sigh of relief escaped from her lips when she felt the hilt of a sword lying on the ground next to her in the tight space under the rubble.

     She had to find a way out of there. Her thoughts drifted to Lincoln and Octavia. They were still in the woods when she came back to the village. They had to be fine. The explosion couldn't have reached that far into the woods.

     Elliot had been yelling under the rubble for about a minute now but still, no one had heard her. She tried to move the rubbles away but it only caused the others to cave in. She was in a bad place. She could get crushed, and no matter how impatient she was, she couldn't risk getting her legs crushed. Or her arms. She needed those to survive.

     Above her, it was a sight no one ever wanted to encounter. It was pure destruction and there was so much death. People burned. They got crushed. They were hurt. But this destruction was also an act of war. Whoever had bombed them━they were going to get what they wanted. And their only mistake was leaving Elliot of Azgeda alive.

    Heat and smoke traveled through the cracks of whatever she was stuck underneath. Elliot was still having a hard time finding a way out of the rubble and back to the surface. It also didn't make it any better when she realized she wasn't alone. She found a few dead eyes staring right back at her the moment she glanced around in the slight darkness.

     "Someone get━me━out of here!" Elliot began to yell in the darkness as she slammed her fist over a huge piece of wood that was almost crushing her chest. If she moved too much, a few pieces of debris would definitely drop on her.

     Her vision was becoming hazy. The slight loss of blood was making her feel nauseous along with the smoke wafting through her nostrils that entered between the cracks. Then she heard it. Unmistakably. It was her brother. It was Lincoln. He was looking for her. Lincoln had once again got back up on his feet.

     "Lincoln," Elliot breathed, relieved and thrilled to hear his voice. It was faint, but one thing kept her going━Lincoln would never give up finding her in this wreck. She grunted, forcing her arm between rocks and slamming the blade on it to make a noise. "Lincoln!"

     The rubbles began to shake, the distinct sound of someone removing the broken rocks and debris from the buildings that had fallen on people. Someone was up there. Right above her. That made her gain a new kind of energy. Adrenaline rushes through her veins as she hits the rocks with her blade, again and again, to make it easier for him to locate her.