𝟮𝟰. killing in the name of

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
you were more than just a short time

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐓he prominent and distinctive scar on her face had never been so exposed. A long, ragged slash runs from her forehead down to her cheek, crossing her nose and partially covering one eye. Despite the scar's prominence and the emotional burden it carries━it symbolizes her resilience, inner strength, and the challenges she has faced throughout her life.

     Elliot did not intend to cover it this time. It made Octavia feel something, like a pride of some sort. Elliot decided to like Octavia. She did not flinch or turn away from her. She didn't care about the scar on her face. She wasn't scared of her. Octavia looked at her the same way Bellamy did.

    Like she was more than the scar on her face.

     Octavia gave up on opening the door after a couple of minutes. It didn't seem like it would budge anytime now. She sat on the ground, her back against a green trashcan while constantly flipping a knife in her hand. As if hoping for some stupid miracle to suddenly happen to them. They didn't want to leave.

    Elliot abruptly straightened up when the sound of an alarm started to blare out from the door. She looked at Octavia and found her staring at the trash can with a miserable look on her face. The younger girl muttered something she didn't quite hear but when Elliot saw what was inside the trashcan━her throat tightened.

     The sound of footsteps made Elliot look away as she raised a hand as a warning. She crept towards the entrance of the tunnel with her hands around the hilt of her swords. But she once again was surprised at who she found staring back at her in the dim light of the tunnels.

     "Clarke," Elliot muttered. She almost sounded disappointed as she turned her back on her, walking back toward the door, leaving Octavia to deal with the blond.

     "We have to get in there." Clarke rushed forward to the door but Octavia held her back, making her look at their friend's corpse inside the trash can.

     "If that was possible, do you think we'd still be out here?" Octavia retorted as a look of horror washed over the girl's face who had to grow up too quickly, weighted by the burden of her choices and the will to save her people.

     Elliot looked at Clarke. "Why did Lexa sound the retreat?"

    "She made a deal with Mount Weather, freed the Grounders, and now we're on our own," Clarke spat before angrily marching towards the door and started to slam her fists on the metal.

     Immediately, she thought of Lincoln. 

     "Stop! They'll know we're here." The younger Blake approached her and forcefully grabbed her away from the door. "What about Lincoln? There's no way he would have gone along with a plan like this."

     "He didn't. They took him." With her words, Elliot clenched her fists from anger, but she tried to maintain calm at the moment. Her eye narrowed when Clarke pointed her gun at the electronic pad on the door.

     Octavia smacked the gun out of her hand. "What's wrong with you?"

     "I am getting through that door," Clarke said stubbornly.

     "And that's your plan?" Octavia said incredulously. "Bellamy's counting on you. Everyone's always counting on you."

     "Well, what do you want from me?" Clarke cried out, the reality of the situation crashing down on her. She had made all the wrong decisions when she thought it was right.