𝟭𝟮. these violent delights

CHAPTER TWELVE
it's no cause for concern

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    𝐄lliot trailed behind the group of delinquents, her hands wavering above the hilt of her swords. With one wrong move, the blade will definitely fly out of her hands and drive into someone's brain. It was instinct, and that doesn't need thinking. Right now, her body language might seem alert but her mind was a mess, and she didn't even know where to start.

    Because sometimes, being a Grounder doesn't always mean you're strong, brave, and all of that bullshit.

     A part of her envied those people that came from space. They didn't have to grow up in such an environment that only believes in killing and believing such powers you hold that only get you killed in the end. But the world has yet to unleash its deepest secrets. They'd only seen what was in front of them. 

     The sunlight had gone up hours ago, and Elliot was starting to recognize her surroundings. They were almost near the sky people's new camp, and it was now time for her to depart from them. She was right. Bellamy stopped and turned to her with a subtle gulp. Elliot looked at him expectantly but with no sign of loathing or anything. 

     "We'll see you later," Bellamy said with a small nod.

     The girl they saved earlier from the cliff darted her eyes between the two of them. She actually felt scared at the presence of the female Grounder. She kept flinching at the slightest movement Elliot made. Bellamy noticed it. He was literally supporting the girl's weight because she was wounded. His jaw clenched at her actions.

     Elliot only nodded in response and turned her back on them. But then he called out her name again.

    "Be careful." Bellamy cleared his throat. Before she could say anything else, he quickly left with the girl beside him, following his sister back to their camp.

     The female Grounder furrowed her brows at his retreating figure as he disappeared among the trees at a fast pace. Unknowingly, a curious expression washed over her face. A different kind of feeling bubbled inside her gut. She didn't know if she liked it or not. How could he make her blood boil and her cold heart melt at the same time?

     The dark sky rumbled, and Elliot shivered from the cold wind that touched her bare skin. She sat on a sturdy branch up on a tree, just near where they left her, quietly munching on a strange edible fruit she picked from somewhere in the woods earlier. She never realized how hungry she was until she took a bite from it.

     Other than that, she never felt this cold before. She missed the cave and the warmth of a fire. She missed being around Lincoln and bickering with him in their language at uncertain times. After all, she was just another human that needed another person to be there for her even though she didn't show it much.

     Just because she was strong━at least to kill someone else━doesn't mean her mind was that strong to take it all in. The more she takes lives, the faster she loses her sanity. The only thing that actually kept her humanity intact was now gone. Yet a part of her still believed Lincoln was alive.

    He has to be. Elliot wouldn't know what to do if he died.

     Elliot sat up from the branch when she heard footsteps coming towards her area, the dead leaves crunching against the soles of their boots. Her judging expression flashed on her face. They seriously don't know how to keep themselves hidden. Then again, maybe they weren't trying to.

     "Elliot." A familiar voice called out her name in a whisper from below. She recognized it immediately. Her muscles relaxed and she easily jumped down from the tree, surprising them. Bellamy's eyes stayed on her. "Didn't see you there."