𝟮𝟯. know the enemy

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
we were born to be the pawn

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐈f there was one thing people should know about Elliot was that she doesn't pick sides anymore. When she truly cares about someone, she would do everything and anything for them. Even if it means risking her own life to save them, she'd rather die saving them than watching them die.

     Elliot had promised herself that after watching her mother get killed in front of her. She promised herself that she would never let that happen again━she wouldn't watch someone she cared about die in front of her without doing anything. Never again will she watch someone she loved on their knees with a sword over their head.

     Coming back down to the village, Elliot was quite surprised to see several sky people helping the Grounders on their feet. It was something to see. Funny how it took all of this for them to be civil with each other When Clarke and Lexa appeared, the Grounders began to chant her name With a signal of her hand, the chant stopped. The power of Heda.

     "What happened here will not stand. The mountain will fall. The dead will be avenged!"

     A series of shouts of agreement and appraisal followed. The village boomed with war cries━rough voices of seasoned warriors itching for the blood of their enemies.

     "Enough! That's enough," Abby yelled, cutting into their celebration to pull them back to the real world. "There are still others in the wreckage. We heard them. Go to work!"

     Elliot was quiet the whole time she witnessed what was happening before her. She listened in to their words like a crow on the lease, and with one unwanted action, she would spring up into battle. Intuition of a built warrior. From the corner, she'd seen that Lincoln had reconciled with the warrior chief. 

     But the moment of bliss wasn't going to last long as tomorrow will be the day where they take lives instead of saving them like tonight.

     After everything that they'd done to save those who could still be saved, Elliot was relieved to get some fresh air as she sat on a small log next to Octavia. A fair distance between them. She watched the fire dance around the wind in silence, clasping both of her hands together with calmness all over her face.

     She snapped out of her state when Clarke suddenly appeared and sat across them. Octavia's blank expression didn't falter and neither did Elliot's━she remained staring at the bonfire as if the blond wasn't there. The suspicion that Clarke knew something about the bomb never left her since they saw her with Lexa in the woods.

     "Everything okay?" Clarke asked, sparking up a conversation with Azgeda traitor and the younger Blake who was starting to look a lot like a Grounder.

     "I'm going over it and over it in my head, just trying to figure out how you're still alive," Octavia muttered, earning Elliot's attention as her eye glossed over their grim faces.

     "What are you talking about?" Clarke asked, feigning confusion.

"I saw you in Tondc before the missile hit. I know you, Clarke. Something's wrong. And then you and Lexa disappear and just happen to survive," Octavia said, trying to believe that Clarke wasn't capable of something like that. "Tell me you didn't know it was coming."

     She was almost pleading with her to tell the truth, expecting her to say no, but she got the opposite answer. No words were needed. The look on Clarke's face was enough. She knew all along. And she let it happen. The Commander let it happen. I suppose the rational part of Elliot knew it had been a matter of decision.