e p i l o g u e

Epilogue

[ Vince's POV ]

*a few weeks later*

I stared at the people in front of me, some staring at me with red and puffy eyes, while others looked neutral. One of which was Zak.

Zak didn't shed a tear after finding out that Lyss was gone. He was neutral, a poker face plastered like a mask. I knew he was suffering on the inside. His only family was gone now. It was all my fault.

When I told him what had happened, he threw a punch in my cheek. I didn't blame him for blaming me, but after that day, he's not spoken a word. He had a light stuble and moustache growing since he's been cooped up in the room all day without shaving whatsoever.

He was like a homeless person in his room.

Summer's had Taylor and her friends over much more often now, more of Taylor. Taylor seemed to have knew Lyss a little more than both Zoe and Britney. She's seemed sobbing day and night, but I didn't let my over-protective instince kick in as Taylor stayed over on some nights.

Aunt Meg had puffy eyes as she stared at me, preparing for me to make my speech.

After what seemed like forever, I finally found my voice to speak. I straightened out the peices of paper I had for my speech against the counter, then decided I wouldn't use it so I put it into my pocket.

"Lyssabelle was... She was like sunshine. And she had a weird obsession with Fruitloops," I breathed out a small laugh and the rememberance of this little trait of hers, "she was a Fruitloop, really. In a world of Cheerios, she was a Fruitloop. She brought laughter to my family, to Summer and I. And for that I'd be forever grateful. Her stay with us was very short, very limited, but it was enough to make me fall in love with her laughter, her smile, the way she blushed whrn you give her a little comment about her hair or something, or when you catch her at 2 a.m. making a bowl of Fruitloops."

Tears threatened to fall, and I let them. In front of this big crowd, I cried. And I didn't care, because I missed Lyss. It was simple as that. Screw them if I was being gay. I needed Lyss here, and not in that coffin, but here standing next to me, squeezing my hand to comfort me.

"Lyss was scared of love. I remember there was once, I was about to say those three words to her, but she said not to say it. Why? Because she wouldn't say it back. Because she'd completely given up on love. But I didn't. And with her last breath, she said it. And now, I hope she's a bright shining star in the sky full of stars, as if an angel looking over all her loved ones. And I hope the little fucker who was speeding dies painfully."

Of course, I recieved some glares from the older people whom I didn't know because after all, this was a funeral. Though, Lyssabelle would understand, I'm sure she would.

I walked down the short flight of stairs and headed towards the chairs. Summer was still red-eyed in Taylor's arms.

Despite being the older brother, I couldn't help but smile at the both of them. I wondered if Lyssabelle didn't die, would we be like that too? Minus the crying of course but cuddling on the couch watching lame reality television shows or laughing at Friends.

After all, she did love Joey Tribbiani.

I felt a tap on my shoulder, and was surprized when I was greeted by Zak. The last time we talked, I got a bruised cheek for a few days. If Zak wanted to, he wouldn't do it at his sister's funeral for sure.

"Man..." he seemed to have a hard time talking, like if he talked too long, he'd finally crack and break down, "Thank you... You-You were there for her when... when I wasn't. Whether she was sick or...."

He couldn't seem to go on, he opened his mouth to speak but no words came out. A thin sheet of reflective liquid coated his eyeballs and I knew he was reaching his breaking point.

"It's okay..." I said, looking up in the sky.

It was a gloomy day, but it wasn't raining. There were no birds, and deadly quiet as everyone stayed silent.

"I just... I just can't believe she's gone y'know?" Zak asked me, mimicking my actions to look up at the sky.

"Yeah..."

I thought back to the day the speeding driver went to jail. He said he was sorry, that he didn't mean to. But how could all this repay the evil deed of taking someone's life? Or taking someone out of this world? I didn't accept his apology, I just walked out of there.

Summer soon appeared with Taylor trailing behind her, and I engulfed into a warm hug. She may need it, but I needed a hug more than anything else. I wished for Lyssabelle to be hugging me, but wishes weren't meant to come true.

I pushed her to give love a chance, to give us a chance, and that didn't give us a happy ending. Maybe if I didn't push her to give love a chance, we'd have a happy ending somehow, which involve Lyss still on this world.

I'd give anything to return to the time when she pinky promised that she'd give it a go, because she wouldn't be gone if it weren't for me. She wouldn't be gone if I didn't ask her to take a taxi to the date venue.

It was all my fault. From the start to end. Not Summer's, not Zak's, not her parents', but mine.

How could I live knowing that?

How will I ever patch up my broken heart?

---

It's been a few hours since the funeral, and I've been sitting on the patch of grass alone as I stared at her name. The sky was now dark and it seemed to be a little foggy, as if this scene was out of a horror film.

Lyssabelle Waldorff. 1995-2014

I casted a glance towards the sky and saw a bright shining star directly above me. Could it be Lyss? Could she be watching over us like how she said she would?

"I'm sorry..." I spoke, still staring at the star, "I'm sorry that you're gone... I'm sorry you're not here to experience 2015... I'm sorry you're not here to experience Christmas..."

In my mind I knew she didn't blame me, that it wasn't my fault. But I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was.

Why couldn't I be like any other guy and take her to a restaurant? Why had I chose such a spot? Why did I make things so complicated?

The star seemed to twinkle and tears flooded my eyes. I've been crying a lot, despite being a guy. I'd stay up late remembering how Lyss has slept on my bed before, or how I would wake up in the middle of the night to find her making herself a bowl of Fruitloops.

"Vince?" I heard Zak's familiar voice call.

"How'd you know.... know I was here?" I croaked, desperately wiping away the tears and standing up.

"You weren't home, and Summer got a little worried that you might do something stupid," he explained. His eyes were bloodshot, and it told me that he finally broke down, and cried. That he finally stopped the facade of acting strong and cried.

"I'd never do that...." I gave a feeble smile and walked towards him.

"You better not... You're like a brother to me now," he casted a glance towards my direction as we walked to his car. I didn't have mine with me since I stayed here for god knows how long.

"I miss her..." I mumbled, shoving my fists into the pocket of my jeans.

"Me too. Every second, every minute, every day," he said.

I nodded and turned my head back to sneak one last glance of the grave.

Perhaps in time my heart will repair, and it'll finally be okay to find happiness again. Maybe there could be a happy ending out there, just not now. Maybe I could find love again someday, but I'd never forget her.

Or maybe Lyssabelle was right, maybe happy endings were all fantasy.

All these maybe's would someday be answered, and only time will tell.

☻☻☻☻☻