o n e

Chapter 1: Fruitloops were not to be wasted

They were very welcoming, I must say. Or maybe I'm just biased because they had a box of Fruitloops and didn't mind giving them to me.

Due to the lack of space, I shared a room with Summer, while Zak took the guest room since he had work to be done and was older.

Summer's room was very spacious, one that I always wished I had. But with the lack of money, I never had one. Technically, we didn't lack money, we just never used it unless necessary. And a big room is just a want, not a need.

The guest bed room seemed to be like a regular room- white sheets, bedside tables on each side, a laptop on the table - yes there was a goddamn laptop - and a dresser, without clothes of course.

Lucky me, when Zak went out, he'd carried his laptop in his briefcase, thus making the laptop in the guest room mine to use.

I lay on Summer's bed with her beside me. She'd told me to make myself feel at home, and when I sat at the desk, she beckoned for me to sit at the bed, for she knew it was much more comfortable than the hard chair she had.

Really, it made my ass ache.

"So? What happened anyway? I mean I know there was a fire but..." she trailed off, not knowing what else to say.

"I was making a bowl and soup, one second it was fine, the next fire was burning everywhere," I shurgged, scrolling through the series band tee-shirts online.

"Yikes! Bad cook?" she asked me, chuckling.

"Yeah, you could say that," I gave a small smile.

"You like band tees?" Summer asked, a little surprised as she looked at what I was scrolling through.

"Absolutely," I mused.

"Oh my gosh! I have tons! You could borrow mine if you'd like," she clapped her hands, excited.

"Really?" I asked, a little amused honestly. She didn't seem like the type to wear band tee-shirts.

"Uh, yeah!"

"Cool, thanks," I gave her a genuine smile, for once since tonight's events.

Other than the time I recieved the Fruitloops from Vince.

I scanned through the Polaroid pictures on her wall and one caught my eye. There was a guy in a suit, and a girl - whom I think was Summer - wearing a gorgeous black dress, with a mask. Probably a masquarade ball if you ask me. I resisted the urge to let out an 'aww' before letting the fuzzy feeling die down.

"Who's that?" I asked and pointed towards the picture.

"My boyfriend," she grinned, as if she loved saying that. She sighed dreamily and continued staring at the picture.

She must really like this guy.

For all my life, I've come to a conclusion that I don't neccesarily deserve any love at all. Other than Zak of course. Sometimes I'd wonder if Zak was only supporting me because he had to, because he didn't want to take off like how my parents did. Perhaps I was a burden to him, but he didn't show it.

My parents left us, or maybe it was because of me, when I was two. Maybe if I weren't even born, mom and dad wouldn't have left Zak. Maybe two was too much for them to handle. Maybe it was my fault Zak had to take care of me.

Some people might think 'parents' aren't even suited for mom and dad. Or they shouldn't even be called mom and dad for they left. They didn't take up the responsibility of taking care of me, but Zak did. I probably ruined Zak's family - well my family as well but before I was born - when I came out of mom's womb.