s e v e n

Chapter 7: She seems to deserve better [dinner part II]

Vanessa.

That name itself was already perfect. She was the definition of perfect. Her body could easily be everyone's dream.

"Lyss?" I heard Summer call and soon after, a knock could be heard on the wooden door of the bathroom.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

I'm not sure how I'm feeling and it sucks so I don't know, you tell me. I wanted to say that, but of course, I couldn't.

"Yeah... I t-think I'm still sick," I lied.

Maybe I was though. Maybe all these feelings were because of one and one reason only, and that was because I was still sick.

Oh, who am I kidding?

"Really?" uncertainty was laced in her voice, and she didn't bother hiding it.

"Yeah," I coughed a little.

Thank you drama class.

"Alright, you could probably go rest. We'll keep some food for you in the fridge," you could hear that she was smiling, like a concerned mother would when her child was sick.

I heard her light footsteps start to leave, and I released a breath I didn't know I was holding and gasped for oxygen. In a confined, small bathroom, it didn't do much.

After making sure - god knows how I even did that - that Summer had left and went back to the dining table, I left the toilet and creeped out, careful not to make any floorboard creek. They knew I was in the house, yet I felt the need to be quiet either way.

"What are you even doing?" I heard Vince's familiar voice speak, and I jumped. Literally. I think I went at least ten inches off the ground, and since I'm not the tallest girl ever, I didn't reach the ceiling. And the Waldorff's had pretty low ceilings.

"Going back to Summer's room?" It came out more as a question, but I coughed and covered it up.

Apparently, my oh-so-good acting didn't work on Vince. How? I have no idea.

"Are you okay with this dinner?" Vince asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Of course! I mean, have you even tried Zak's cooking? It's amazing. If he ever gets fired, I guarantee he could get into Masterchef. I bet if Gordon Ramsay tried his coo-" I rambled on, but Vince cut me off. For the good or bad, I'll find out.

"I mean, are you okay with this dinner? With Vanessa there?" he asked, and you could practically see a ghost smirk on his lips, as if he couldn't wait to break into a smirk.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

His eyes roamed to my chest for a while, before he blinked, and blinked, then looked back at me.

Pervert much.

"You just seem... Jealous," he shrugged.

"Me? Jealous?" I scoffed and laughed out loud, "Jealous of what? That she's way out of your league? She seems to deserve better."

It was a dick move, I admit. I didn't realize it was coming out of my mouth until I heard myself saying those words.

He flinched but regained his posture almost immediately.

"Then who's within my league? You?" he asked, copying my actions and crossing his arms over his chest.

"No, bu-"