Chapter 45

XAVIER POV

One week earlier...

My eyes ached as I glared at the computer screen. Drowning yourself in work 14 hours a day wasn't a good thing, but I had to get my mind off of Lia.

She's staying at Jasmine's house tonight and I already miss her. Her angelic laugh, her catlike eyes, her light brown hair, the curves of her body.

The way her nose scrunched up when she was confused or how she was so focused on her work, that I could stab myself with a fork and she wouldn't even bat an eyelash.

I was completely and utterly consumed by my Lia.

Every time she took me by surprise, from when she threw coffee at me the first time we met to when she posted a selfie with my dad.

She married me, without even knowing me, just so she could fulfil her dreams. She didn't care what it would take to keep her mother's aspirations alive.

And that's one of the reasons I am head over heels in love with her.

When I see that the night guards are coming in for their shift, I decide I better get home.

I didn't want to.  An empty bed without her was looking like a sad night.

I was habituated to the sound of r&b music playing most of the time, she loved to listen to music when she was doing little tasks like cooking or painting her nails.

It's eerily dark as I drive down the street. The heavy rain bangs against the windshield and the unexpected thunder startled me every now and then.

I manage to get home without crashing my car. As I walk into the bedroom I can still smell the faint scent of her sweet perfume lingering in the air.

Heading into the shower, washing the trace of sweat and work off my body. I pull on a pair of black boxers before falling onto the bed.

The blinds are open and the moonlight slightly illuminated the room, I could've fallen asleep to the sound of the rain.

I feel my phone vibrate, I almost couldn't hear it through all the thunder.

Lia.

Like a little kid in a candy, I'm excited to speak to her.

"Hello gorgeous," I answer.

"Xavier..." she breathes out softly and I could just explode.

Her voice, her smell, her touch. Everything hypnotised me. She could ask me to rip my heart out of my chest for her and I would do it with a smile on my face.

"How was your day?" I ask nervously. Why am I nervous?

I'm Xavier King.

But my girl made me nervous.

"It's raining.." she said so quietly that I wouldn't gave heard if I wasn't concentrating.

"Do you like the rain baby?" I ask.

"I love the rain," she answers excitedly, as if she was waiting for me to ask her that question.

"Tell me why..."

"It...it feels like time has stopped King, staring out of the window watching the droplets race down. The smell of water mixing with the earth." She says, her voice is lower as if she's remembering a memory.

"....my mother loved the rain," she trailed off. "Do you like the rain?" She asked back, I smiled to myself I loved how she wanted to know about me.