Chapter 35

AMELIA POV

"He's looking good, he should be awake any day now unless any surprises happen." the doctor says as I walk into Xavier's room, a wave of happiness overwhelms me as I can't wait to see Xavier again.

Ever since I saw that Eric has a safe house key, I've brought security guards around Xavier's room who only allow me and his father inside.

It's been 2 weeks since then and I haven't seen Eric or Vanessa at all. Arthur tells me that Eric just works late, and since I'm always at Kings Corp or the hospital I have no time to check otherwise.

I sit next to Xavier, the hospital have replaced my stool with a soft sofa-chair as I've been here so much. I grab a magazine from the pile and I'm shocked at the cover.

Vanessa Romano double dips in the King cup.

Vanessa is dating Eric?

I read the rest of the article and find out that it's true, and apparently they have been secretly dating for a month. I guess that would explain why she was at the hospital.

"Did you hear that King?" I snort "Vanessa is dating Eric now." I laugh humourlessly.

I get a text message from Jodie.

Xavier's brother is here.

Are you sure it's him. I reply, I've told her about Eric but they've never met before. She sends me a photo of Eric with Vanessa on his arm going into Xavier's private elevator.

I rush out of the hospital, warning the security guards to make sure that no one enters Xavier's room.

I'm glad I took one of Xavier's cars as they were faster and the road was empty today and before I knew it i was at Kings Corp.

I walk into the building and Jodie points upwards, signalling they've gone into Xavier's office. I take the regular elevator as the regular one would send an alert to Xavier's office.

I decide not to burst in and I stand outside the office door and try to listen to what they're saying.

"Damn it, where are the papers?" Vanessa says out in frustration.

"Just keep on looking." Eric says "papers that have the ownership of Kings Corp."

I'm so relieved as Xavier was smart enough to move those papers to the bank when the bounty was placed on my head in the first place.

"God damnit! Why couldn't the shooter just shoot the right person in the first place, then I wouldn't be in this mess." Vanessa says, obviously not enjoying paper duty.

Wrong person?

I go into the room and watch them freeze like deer in the headlights. I pretend not to know anything because what they need isn't even here.

"Hey guys what are you doing here?" I smile.

"I-I thought you were at the hospital?" Eric stutters.

"Yeah well, I'm in charge of the company at the moment," I say to see the burn of envy in Eric's eyes "and there's some work left to be done. Now what are you doing here?"