Chapter 10

AMELIA POV

"I need you to marry me."

Bam.

The glass in my hand smashes onto the ground. Water and fragments of glass fly everywhere. Xavier is unaffected by my reaction and simply just calls the cleaner lady.

We sit in uncomfortable silence as she comes in and picks up the glass. I mumble her a quiet 'thank you' and she gives me a small smile.

"That was quite the overreaction." Xavier mutters, more to himself.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I say, after a second of silence.

"I need you to marry me," he says, irritably.

"Your joking?" I chuckle humorlessly

"Do I look like I'm joking?" he deadpanned, a serious look plastered on his face.

"Well if you're seriously being serious then I decline your proposal sir." I smile, trying to change the tense mood.

"It's only for a year, and my lawyers will have it annulled so it'll be like it was never there," He urges.

"It'll always be here." I say, pointing at my head.

"I need you to understand, if you agree Mr Russo will give me control of his business in America." he looked desperate.

"Is there no other way to get control of this business?" I ask, he shakes his head. We sit there in tense silence whilst I thought.

"So we would be in a 'relationship'?" I question, holding up my fingers to put speech marks around 'relationship'.

"It's not relationship it's a business deal." He spat coldly. Shivers run down my spine at how quickly his mood changed. My eyes unintentionally widened.

"What would I get?" I ask after a long pause.

"If you agree, you will receive a penthouse, a car of your choice straight away and 20 million dollars at the end of the marriage." he said monotonously "Which is more than enough for you to start that business of yours." he smirked slyly.

20 million dollars would be more than enough to start a business. It could boost me into the top businesses. I examined him, he was definitely gorgeous and he was the ideal husband on paper. Except the fact that he has zero personality.

"It's only for a year?" I double check.

"After 365 days you can continue with your life." he responds.

"But what if I was romantically involved with somebody," I ask.

"Then you've got to decide which is more important, your boyfriend or your dream." he guilt trips me.

"He's not really my boyfriend, we've been on like one date." I accidentally blurt out.

"You've got your answer then." he shrugs.

"Can I give you an answer tomorrow?" I ask, still really unsure. He nods and I quickly exit and return to my office.

After a few hours of work I go to lunch with Jodie. I sit opposite her and just drink some water, since my hunger was gone now.