2.7 - Morphine

| Norah |

"Get Doc on the phone now!" Xander was holding Matteo up as he leaned on him in the back seat. Maddox tore off his tee that he was wearing and leaned back to Matteo, pressing it to his side. Xander put pressure on the wound with it.

"I'm fine. I'm fine..." Matteo murmured, his face deathly pale. His skin held a sheen of sweat as he took deep breaths. My stomach was in knots and it felt like my heart had jumped into my throat, choking me. I could tell Matteo was trying to look at his wound but I knew that wasn't a good idea. Not when he was so sickened by the sight of blood.

"Hey, look at me. Focus on me, okay?" I spoke to him firmly but kept my tone soft and calm. He didn't need to see the panic I was feeling.

Matteo's eyes flicked up to mine and I could see the fear in them. He was terrified. Seeing him so afraid made me feel like dying. This was my brother. I had grown to love him so much. He always helped me during the hardest times and made me feel like I belonged in this family, even when I was so frightened about the life my family lived.

"It's going to be okay. You're going to be fine. Just keep looking at me," I held his hand in both of mine, rubbing my thumb against the back of it.

We pulled to the house within five minutes, but it felt like that car ride home was an eternity. Adriano came running to the car and so did a middle-aged, graying man who I assumed was 'Doc.' We rushed out of the car and everyone surrounded the car as Xander and Maddox carried Matteo out of the back seat. Matteo grumbled in pain, crumpling as they wrapped his arms around each of their shoulders. Maddox and Xander picked Matteo up by the back of his thighs.

"What happened?!" Adriano yelled, distressed, to say the least. I wondered how many times this had happened in the past.

"Viktor was at the club with Anatoly. We were being followed and shot at and Matteo got hit," I explained briefly.

It all happened so fast. They took Matteo downstairs to a room that was across from the gun range. It was a sterile white room that looked straight out of a hospital. Matteo was lain on the bed. Well, if you could call the stainless steel table a 'bed.' They started cutting his shirt down the middle and I caught sight of the bullet wound. My heart stopped as blood spilled from the hole in his side. Matteo looked down and turned to the side of the bed, dry heaving.

I stepped forward, ready to help Doc with whatever he needed. A hand wrapped around my wrist and held me back.

"Norah, you shouldn't stay and watch," Maddox cautioned me, ready to usher me out of the room. I yanked my arm, freeing my wrist from his grip.

"I can help," I affirmed.

"Doc has it under control-"

"Maddox! I can't leave him," I snapped. My heart was slamming against my rib cage. "I can't..."

Maddox didn't show any sign of being hurt by my outburst. His gaze was understanding.

My brothers, Adriano, Xander, and Maddox all held back, watching from a distance. I hurried to Doc's side. He gave me an unsure look.

"She can help, Lorenzo," Maddox told the Doc, Lorenzo. Lorenzo nodded.

"We need to get the bullet out. I can see it, but it's deep," Lorenzo told me. I grabbed the Forceps from the table beside the bed. Matteo's eyes widened. Maddox came over and took off his belt. I didn't know what he was doing until Matteo took it in his mouth.

Lorenzo grabbed a vial of light blue liquid and filled a syringe with it. He quickly administered it into Matteo's vein. Morphine.

"This should help, but we don't have time for the Morphine to fully take effect. Hold him down, Maddox," Lorenzo stated. Maddox nodded sullenly and grabbed Matteo's arms, pinning them down.