1.5 - The Objective

| Norah |

I didn't even have time to react before Maddox was in the defense about what my father had just stated. A wave of anger surged in him like gasoline being poured over a minuscule flame.

"I'm perfectly capable of doing my job as Norah's bodyguard. Whether the Russians want me dead or not does not affect how safe I can keep her," Maddox debated, his tone displaying his anger towards the decision. I didn't understand why he was so struck by it, he just was. I studied his expression, wondering why he would get so riled up about it. He was fighting a losing battle.

"What happens to Norah when the Russians come to put a bullet through that thick skull of yours? Once you're dead, then what?" Xander butted into the conversation. By the lack of surprise to Adriano's proposal, I instantly suspected that Xander already knew he was going to be replacing Maddox. What I didn't expect was for him to challenge Maddox's pride.

Maddox turned to look at Xander, his features turned to those of pure disgust. I hadn't noticed it before, but by the way they stared at one another like they were rivals, I knew instantly that they truly did not like each other. Whether something happened in the past between the two, I had no idea. Judging by the way their expressions towards each other, it seemed almost like it came naturally.

"Excuse me? Your whole life you've been the one that gets safeguarded like a little bitch that doesn't know how to shoot straight and fend for himself. How the hell are you qualified to protect Norah?" Maddox snapped, getting up from his chair. He kept his cool, his posture unintimidated, but I saw the way his jaw ticked, and the anger in his eyes was fierce.

I could just melt into the love seat if I thought too hard on Maddox's jealous rage-

I snapped myself out of those thoughts and shook away all memories of last night that tried to creep up. My skin covered in goosebumps when a few slipped through the cracks and gave me a glimpse like a peep show.

Swallowing hard, I let my attention go to Xander as he challenged Maddox.

"I can guarantee that I'll do a better job than you ever did. You need to focus on your real job. Adriano doesn't need you playing watchdog for his daughter anymore, so lay off and do the job you're paid for," Xander folded his arms across his chest, not amused. I finally stood and rolled my eyes, fed up.

"Will you both ever shut the hell up? God, you bicker like teenage boys," I burst. They all looked at me, my brothers and father with amused looks, while Xander and Maddox with surprised expressions.

"Maddox, thank you for watching out for me for the past month, but I think you need to focus on your part for now. Anton was an easy hit, but I'm sure the rest won't be," I thanked Maddox hollowly, wanting to mean it, but last night made my attitude towards him turn sour.

Maddox's face hardened. He was about to object when Adriano spoke up.

"Agreed. Maddox, it's time you start to research our next targets and we'll leave Xander to escort Norah if she ever needs it. He's our guest until this ... situation is sorted out. He should be more than capable to keep Norah safe," Adriano chose his words carefully but kept his tone firm when he spoke to Maddox. Maddox's temper was widely known among everyone in the house.

This made me wonder how long Maddox had been here with my family. I made a mental note to find out later.

Xander stood with a blatant smirk on his face. He looked to Maddox as if he won a competition. His eyes flicked to mine and I felt my breath catch, not expecting him to make eye contact with me. I didn't want him to know I was watching for his reaction to my father's response. Although, I wasn't too surprised by the cocky expression of superiority he had.