3.3 - Manhattan

| Norah |

Maddox and I snuck out of my room quietly. I followed behind him quickly as we made our way to the garage. Once we got to the hall that leads to the underground garage, I felt the breath I had been holding finally release.

Thankfully the house was big enough that everyone was spread out and didn't see us. Although, I didn't know how we got away with it sometimes.

Once in the garage, Maddox leads me over to a bright red Ferrari. He held open the passenger door for me and I thanked him. As soon as he got in the driver's seat, we were off and leaving the estate.

Maddox still insisted on not telling me where we were going. I huffed but deep down I was thrilled that he was surprising me with a dinner date for Valentine's Day.

I had to admit that it was hard staying mad at Maddox. He apologized and I knew he meant it. As much as I wanted to go back to the way we were, I couldn't completely shake the initial betrayal I felt. At this point, I felt sicker than betrayed.

It made me sick meeting with my family, Xander, and Maddox, planning something that I felt more and more doubtful of. I couldn't get rid of the nightmares that haunted me almost like premonitions every night. At the end of the day, I was more upset about that. And after Maddox blatantly spoke about the obvious risk of him dying because of this mission... I couldn't handle it.

I was taken out of my thoughts when we pulled up to the valet. Maddox walked around the car and handed the key to the valet before opening my door. He helped me out and placed his hand at the small of my back, guiding me into the extravagant restaurant.

"King," He told the host and they quickly brought us to our table. The waitstaff brought out a bottle of red wine and filled our glasses.

"Hi, my name is Zach. I will be serving you this evening," A man who looked to be almost thirty came up to us and introduced himself. He briefly looked at Maddox before looking at me. Maddox cleared his throat and ordered the first course of arugula. The waiter smiled at me then gave Maddox a nod.

"We'll have that out shortly," He said and left.

Maddox rolled his eyes once our waiter was gone.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Maddox looked at my breasts then up to meet my confused gaze.

"I shouldn't have picked that dress. Looks like Zachary over here can't keep his eyes off of you because of it," Maddox admitted. I stifled a laugh and took his hand.

"It doesn't matter. There is no need to be jealous," I assured him.

Our waiter came back with our first course and Maddox instantly glared at him. If only this waiter knew what Maddox was capable of. I had to hide my amusement by taking a sip from my wine glass. It was fun to see how jealous Maddox got.

We placed our orders and the waiter left after that.

"This is amazing, Maddox," I said, taking some of the arugula to eat. Maddox furrowed his brow.

"We haven't even eaten yet," He said.

"That's not what I mean. I mean this," I gestured to the restaurant and then looked down at my necklace. "I had no idea you were planning this."

"I wanted to surprise you and get you out," He told me and held up his wine glass. I grabbed mine as well. "To our first Valentine's Day."

I chinked my glass with his and we both took a sip of our wine, not taking our eyes off of each other.

Our first Valentine's day.

The wine tasted sweeter after hearing him say that.

• • •