London, 1864 - Part One

hey guys :) so i just came up with this idea yesterday and i'll finish the previous one shot eventually, but i wanted to upload this one soooo bad omg. so i'm American and i don't know a lot about London in the 1800s so please bear with me lol but yeah enjoy and make believe this is all reasonable lol <3 

HARRY’S P.O.V.

            When I walked into my parlor one afternoon, I found my parents speaking in serious and hushed voices on a subject I could not make out. My mother turned to look at me and my father did soon after. “Harry, we are having very important company over tonight, so you must make yourself look presentable,” my mother said.

            “What kind of company is it?” I asked, stepping forward.

            “It is a wealthy family from London,” my father explained, “They are coming for supper to talk about certain business opportunities in London. If they agree to give us a place in London, then we’ll be moving.”

            “Go, Harry, put your finest clothes on, this dinner is very important and we must make a good impression,” my mother insisted and I turned to walk back upstairs to my small bedroom.

            I was fixing the collar of my shirt when I heard my mother answer the front door and warmly welcome the company inside. My coat was over my shoulders and my trousers were finely pressed. I stepped out of my bedroom and stood at the top of the stairs, looking down into the foyer where a man and women were standing with my parents. A younger woman, looking to be around my age, stood in their circle and shook hands with my mother. My father kissed her knuckles.

            I descended the stairs and the girl looked at me, smiling.

            “Harry, come and introduce yourself,” my mother said once she saw me and I reached the foyer. I kissed the mother’s knuckles.

            “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Ma’am” I said to the middle aged lady. “My name is Harry Styles.”

            “Gertrude,” she smiled and I shook hands with the father.

            “Joseph Hartman,” the father introduced. “Pleased to meet you.”

            “You too, Sir,” I replied. I turned to the younger girl. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss,” I said softly as she held her hand out and I kissed her knuckles.

            “My name is Maya,” she said with a soft smile. “It’s a pleasure to meet you as well.”

            My mother ushered everyone into the parlor and offered drinks as the wealthy family sat down on our couches. Maya lingered a little bit and I stood in the doorway of the parlor as she hesitantly took a seat on a second couch. I couldn’t help but admire her from where I was standing. She had a beautiful light green dress on with a sweetheart neckline. Her collarbones were prominent and on top of them was an expensive gold locket.

            I walked over and softly asked if I could take the seat next to her. She looked up at me and smiled, letting me sit on the cushion next to hers. Our parents drank brandy out of small crystal glasses as Maya and I sat to the side, listening to the conversation.

            “You see, we’re trying to find Maya a husband,” Mr. Hartman said. Maya looked down at her lap and both my parents looked over at her. “Twenty-two years old and not married.”