(8) The Adventures of an Orphan

Comenzar desde el principio

    "That's it?" I asked, surprised my plan went off so easily. I guessed Mei wouldn't have to make clones of my parents after all.

    "Is there something else you wanted to request?" Q asked and pushed up his glasses.

    I shook my head. "No, it's just— thanks."

    Q smiled at me. "Without worries. But, before you go, I talked to one of the teachers in the Hero Course."

    "Oh, yeah?"

    "Indeed. He teaches 1-A and is well known for expelling his students regularly. Anyways, he mentioned that if a spot or two were to open up in his class, then he'd look for a replacement from another course," Q explained, and my mind froze.

    "Really‽ Er– I mean, really?" I tried to mask my excitement, but it was no use. My hands gripped the folded student forms while I couldn't bite back the eager smile across my face. I was once again filled with hope and optimism.

    Could this be it? Could I really have my second chance?

    Q knew how happy I was to hear his news. He continued, "Yes, and I'll put in a good word for you, but you have to realize that you won't be the only student in line for that opening. Almost everyone in the Support, Business, and General Studies program will be fighting for blood to get in there. So, don't take it lightly. Give it your all, and do your best!"

    The determination and excitement pushed my head to nod rapidly, "I will! Thank you, professor!" I beamed and tried to refrain from hugging him.

    "You are certainly welcome, but nothing is set in stone just yet. Though, I do hope this helps you achieve your dream of being a pro Hero."

    I laughed. "Well, thanks, but I'm not really doing this for me. It's only because once my parents find out I'm a hero, they'll let me back home!" I smiled at him, too excited to remember what I confessed right away.

    Q's silence and change in attitude, on the other hand, told me that he heard me loud and clear. He took a deep breath and pointed at a chair for me to sit in front of him.

    Crap. . .

    I sat down and braced myself for the lecture of a lifetime.

     Q faced down, probably wondering where to begin. "Alrighty. For one, please don't ever do something solely to impress others, especially family. Trust me when I say it's not fun. Secondly, how could you know that being a hero will solve everything? And how could you stake all of this on it? And where are you living?" He asked and looked at me, demanding answers and fast.

     "Well, uh, I just know, okay? A-and my living situation is...fine." I sat there, avoiding eye contact and wrapping my arms around my stomach. I hunched over slightly and leaned back.

    "It is." I insisted after Q didn't respond. His silence once again forced me to talk. "I can't go home, so I rent a storage unit uptown. Okay, it doesn't sound great when I say it out loud, but I swear I'm fine! I have a place and living parents: that means that I'm not technically an orphan."

"Rosemary," Q started, but I refused to look him in the eyes. "I need you to admit that you're downplaying your problems."

     "I am not." I quickly snapped.

    Q didn't let up though. "Yes, you are. Please, just let me help you out with this."

    I rolled my eyes. "I do not need your help. I'm not some charity case, alright? I told you that I'm fine." You have no idea how hard it was for me to have someone pity me, or see me as some poor, orphaned girl in need of saving.

     Q didn't get the memo that I wasn't happy with the way this conversation was heading. "I'm not doing this because I feel bad for you," he told me. "You want to be a hero, yes? Then let me help you be a hero, Rosemary."

    I can't..I'm not going to accept his charity...

    I thought long and hard about how it was the last thing I wanted. But rent was piling up, and I wasn't exactly making a ton of money on my own. People apparently didn't want to buy weapons made by a 15-year-old girl with no form of license or permit.

"What do you want from me?" I asked, taking the second to look up at Q for the first time in the last few minutes.

    "Will you let me help you just a little?" He asked.

   I finally caved in. "Fine. If it'll stop this then yeah sure, I'll go with you."

    Q perked back up to his crazy, cheerful self and smiled. "That is wonderful to hear! In that case, let's get moving. We have to be quick if we want to get you settled in by dinner." He tapped his desk and stood up. I sluggishly picked up my bag and followed him out the door.

    So I'm moving in with a mad scientist to become a superhero. Just the high school experience I signed up for.

Well, how's that for cooky? Looks like Rose is getting some help with her current situation, but will she accept the handout? Find out next time on Guns And Roses

This chapter starts out at lunch, so what are your favorite lunchtime foods?

Character Spotlight: Tallulah (Rose) Rosemary
1-H original character
Quirk: Weapon

Character Spotlight: Tallulah (Rose) Rosemary1-H original characterQuirk: Weapon

(Looks just like her except she has pink hair that's shaved on the right side)

Fun fact: she doesn't need to eat but enjoys meats and stir fry