"Trent..." I grin, watching him take out tubs of food, "Is this a picnic?"

He freezes and spins around, a wince following as he scratches the back of his head.

"It is... is that really lame?"

I giggle and kneel down beside him, helping him to take the items out of the basket and unpack them. 

"A little," I tease, setting sandwiches down with the rest of the food, "But I kind of like it."

We sit and eat our food, watching the sun go down together, mostly laughing at how bad some of the sandwiches are as a result of Cole making them, but enjoying them none the less. 

"If I'm ill tomorrow, I am blaming your best friend," I warn Trent while looking around the plates of food, "He will suffer."

All evening, a feeling of anticipation had sat in my stomach, knotting itself together repeatedly every time Trent so much as looked at me or our fingers brushed. I had constantly been sitting at a solid six all night, like a smouldering fire waiting to be lit.

Trent chuckles from beside me and holds something out to me, stopping my scan of the blanket.

"How about something healthy then, to even it out?"

In his fingers is a strawberry, big enough to not look dwarfed in his large hands and a juicy red colour. He motions for me to take it and my mouth waters - although I don't quite know if it's just from the fruit or not. 

I know he means for me to take it out of his hand, but without even thinking, I lean forward and take a bite of the soft fruit, a sound of satisfaction leaving my lips as I taste it. 

Realising what I've done, I timidly look up at him, swallowing my nerves along with the bite as his eyes watch me.

Or well more my mouth specifically. 

His finger gently wipes the side of my mouth where I can feel a drop of juice sliding and he brings it to his lips, sucking his thumb gently. 

My gasp is audible to both of us and it seems to snap us out of our trance, my nerves getting the better of me. 

But I wanted to kiss him, and I wanted to touch him. It's just my head that seems to have it's reserves whether I like it or not. Like I still need reassurance. 

"There is dessert," Trent coughs, breaking the tension around us and I laugh lightly, rubbing my stomach.

"I don't know if I could eat another bite."

I'm not sure what I'm going to see when I look over at Trent, maybe a cake or some mushed up dessert that our chef for the night has tried to create. But it's as if someone has punched me in the stomach when I see the item sitting in his hands.

"Is that..."

He opens the box carefully, placing it in front of us, his hands shaking slightly. 

Pumpkin pie.

"I remember you said... that night at the party... I asked Mrs Grenway for help with the recipe before she... I wanted it to be perfect... I know it's a little burnt and probably won't be the exact same as your grandmothers but-"

"You made this?"

My voice cracks as tears pool, disbelief evident in my words as I sit, unmoving.

"Yeah, I um..." he looks at my shocked expression and quickly closes the box, moving it away from us, "Fuck Elle, I'm sorry. It was super insensitive of me I-"

I cut of his worried words with my lips, half crawling across his lap to wrap my arms around his neck, the feeling of needing to be close to him overwhelming. My heart bursting with affection at the kindness that he constantly shows me.