Chapter 13

You guys. I can't believe it. Over 1.2K reads already? I seriously cannot express my gratitude and love for you all. You make my dreams come true!

I, personally, love this chapter and the characters in it.

Thanks so much for supporting me and leaving loads of lovely comments! 

.

For the rest of the school day, I couldn't sit still in my seat. I tried to convince myself that it was because I was worried about Kristie but I also knew in the back of my mind that I was completely shaken by Scarlette and her idea that Trent liked me. I mean it wasn't that hard to believe when I thought of how he acted, but I also couldn't comprehend the idea of someone as attractive as him wanting me. Especially, when I was being so difficult.

I'd seen Matt between classes, accompanied by Tracey no less and although it annoyed me, I took his good mood to my advantage when she told us she was throwing a party tonight. Although Matt was difficult sometimes, I also knew when to push my luck and it paid off.

The most annoying part about it all was that I didn't have Kristie to tell. I'd spent the last two periods constantly texting her under the table, making sure to apologise about three thousand times and hint that I had news for her.

At first, she doesn't reply to anything and as the second hour of the class starts, I begin to think that maybe she never will. However, just before the bell rings to signal the end of school my phone buzzes and her familiar face pings up on the screen.

K: Meet me at your locker.

The one sentence alone makes me grin from ear to ear and as soon as I hear the shrill ring pulse through the school I am out of my chair and sprinting down the hall, half knocking people out the way as I make my way to the other side of the building.

I arrive at my locker out of breath and a little frazzled, but I can't stop my grin when I see my best friend leaning against the metal with a smirk on her face, observing me trying to catch my breath and failing.

"You alright?" she laughs and I nod breathlessly but hold up my finger, pausing the conversation.

This is why I don't do sports.

After a few moments, I compose myself and take a deep breath, my lungs grateful that they're not being put under strain again.

"I always wonder how you stay so skinny when you can't run for shit," Kristie teases, rolling her eyes and I shrug.

"I hate running, what can I say?"

We're silent as we both chuckle, the sea of people moving past us creating a hum of sound. 

My heart aches as I take in the space between the two of us, my guilt sinking slowly.

"Look, K," I sigh, "I'm really sorry, I honestly don't know what came over me."

She watches me with guarded eyes but I can still see the pain flicker through them, her lips tight as she holds in her emotions.

"I shouldn't have said it, and it was an awful thing for me to do. I am the worst best friend ever. Please forgive me?"

She assesses my apology, figuring out if it's acceptable or not and I feel myself grin internally at her familiar expression and her struggle to contain her smile.

"Aaaaaaand," I sing, stepping closer,  "Tracey is throwing a party tonight and I may have not only convinced Matt to let me go with you but also stay over at yours."