Expert

1 day after separating

"What are we doing today?" Wooyoung stretched as he approached the table covered in delicious breakfast.

Yunho took a bite of his jammed toast, the satisfying crunch making Wooyoung salivate. "We're meeting the supposed expert that will help us and explain more about what we're doing here."

Wooyoung sat down and poured himself a full mug of coffee. "Nice. We can finally understand what's going to happen to us."

The bitterness of the hot beverage reminded him of the conversation they had last night. It also snapped him out of the state of confusion he was only half-aware he was in since the moment he decided to slip notes under his teammates' bedroom doors. He was finally mindful of the new setting he was in, the things happening around him, and the emotions that came with it.

Wooyoung realized that everyone else's plates were emptying quickly, so he broached, "Will we know what's going to happen to the others? We'll know if they're wanted by the police, right?"

San choked on the piece of scrambled egg he was swallowing. Wooyoung patted his back lightly, instantly regretting bringing up the uncomfortable topic.

"It's okay, I'm fine." San took huge gulps of water.

No one was comfortable to continue eating, so Wooyoung explained himself. "It's only been a day, but we don't seem as...together anymore. Physically and mentally. I know we're adjusting, but I don't want us to break apart." He had more to say, but he was afraid to ruin the mood further. So he kept the thoughts to himself.

Sitting there, he knew more or less that he was going to have a chance to use his powers in a legitimate way, yet he still wasn't sure whether he made the right choice by coming here. He was proud that he didn't leave Yunho alone, but in truth, he wanted more than that. He wanted everything to go back to normal, but he also wished - more than once - that they could stop being anonymous heroes.

Yunho finally found a suitable reply. "That's not for you to worry about, Wooyoung. You came here because of me. I could've escaped and went back. But I didn't. I make us look like the selfish bunch who left our friends in danger of being arrested, while we are here enjoying privileges."

Yunho emptied his cup of hot tea in one gulp. He exhaled heavily before meeting Wooyoung's eyes again.

"To be honest, I stayed here partly because I am scared to face consequences if I go back."

"We'll never blame you for that," said San. Yunho smiled gratefully, but there was a twinge of sadness in his eyes.

Wooyoung nodded. He still felt bad for starting this conversation, especially now that Yunho had to pour his heart out to loosen things up. "I just hope that everything will be fixed soon. I don't care how, as long as we're together, safe, and happy."

Wooyoung had just finished his sentence when the elevator doors opened with a ding, and Kim - the only authoritative person they met here - stepped inside.

"Good morning everyone, I'll bring you to Dr. Yeon." Kim announced tersely. She walked back inside the elevator without checking if everyone followed.

They descended to basement level before the elevator door opened again.

"Hi guys!" A deep voice boomed as soon as the door cracked open, startling San, who was standing right by the door.

The man in front of them was short but huge, his lab coat stretching so tightly to wrap around his body you can see the stitches barely holding on. He has flat black hair with tufts sticking out here and there, but his eyes were warm and his smile was kind. The pair of comical thick-framed glasses underneath a pair of stained lab goggles were the final touches to create an impression that he was the most harmless scientist you would ever find.