Midnight

The living room was concealed in a cloak of darkness. The only light was the soft silvery glow of the moon shining through the balcony window. There were no owls hooting tonight, no rustling leaves from the night breeze. Just quiet - the sound of midnight.

Bedroom doors were closed and locked. The hallway connecting the rooms was now a dark, endless tunnel.

The two oldest member of the group sat on the opposite ends of the small couch. Hongjoong sat hunched with elbows on his lap, his hands crossed together to support his chin. He stared at the patterns on the top right corner of the carpet, trying to follow the simple lines but ending up losing the path after 2 turns.

Seonghwa sat upright with his head turned to look at the other. His eyelids drooped, but he knew he wouldn't be able to rest, not until he said what he needed to say. Things had taken a wrong turn, and someone had to try put the team back on the right track.

"I understand how you must have felt during dinner."

Hongjoong exhaled sharply. He leaned back and massaged the bridge of his nose. "I know you didn't call me out here in the middle of the night to talk about this."

"No, I didn't plan to, but I feel like I have to say something. You don't have to agree, just listen to me." Seonghwa paused in case the leader disagreed. But Hongjoong nodded. "It's natural to have two different opinions. 8 people is a large group. And they are all adults. They make their own decisions, and they don't have to listen to anyone."

Hongjoong knew where this was going. "They've listened to me for a long time."

"Yes, but we both know it's much more different this time. It's not a matter of who goes on a mission, nor is it a matter of what they should do with their powers. It's a matter of their future. No one knows what the right choice is, but everyone has their own moral code to follow. You can't assume they'll change their minds just by telling them what to think."

Seonghwa tried to gauge Hongjoong's reaction, but it was too dark to make out his expression. Instead, he had to deal with an uncomfortable silence.

Hongjoong stood up and trudged to the balcony door. He stared at the moon outside, his body blocking half of the light and putting the living room into dense darkness.

"What am I supposed to do then?" He whispered to no one in particular. Seonghwa perked up, almost missing the quiet words that seemed to absorb into the glass door. "What else am I supposed to do as a leader? I know what you're thinking. I know what everyone else is thinking. I don't want a..."

The leader trailed off. For once, he couldn't think of a better word to express himself. But the unspoken word hung in the air. Mutiny.

"But like you said," he continued wearily. His voice was frail, as if he aged in the span of a few seconds. "We can't really control what they think." He sighed when he felt Seonghwa's hand on his shoulder.

"Don't worry, you'll figure it out eventually," Seonghwa said. He looked out the window too and realized why Hongjoong had stood there for so long. The moon was mesmerizing. It was a reminder that some things stay unchanged even though they were in turmoil. "You always do. No matter how long it takes."

The words may be hopelessly optimistic, but they offered Hongjoong the consolation he needed for a long time.

"So what did you really want to talk to me about?"

The pleasant exchange shifted to another serious topic. Seonghwa pulled his eyes away from the moon and recalled his vision he had this afternoon. His mind whirred. That felt like ages ago.