Talk

The nightlife in Seoul  was lively and bustling with noise. Cars zoomed past pedestrians on the  road, hurrying to arrive at their destinations. The streets were busy  with people strolling around, carrying loaded plastic bags with various  logos on them while chatting with their companions about what they  should eat for dinner. Neon signs hung on the sides of buildings,  outshining the stars in the night sky and showing off their appeal with  their attractive icons.

Everything and everyone  had something to do. There was simply no room for rest, peace, or quiet.  This was the time and place to let loose and have fun.

Yunho allowed Seonghwa  to lean on him as they walked to the seats outside the restaurant that  were meant for customers waiting for a table.

"Are you ok?" Yunho  asked. Are you drunk? was more the question Yunho wanted to ask. He had  never seen the older drink so much before. In fact, Seonghwa was always  the one who prevented the members from going overboard.

Seonghwa looked like he  might fall asleep any second. But he smiled and nodded. It was a  lopsided smile, but at least it told Yunho he was sober enough to  understand words. "Yea, I'm fine. I'm just a bit dizzy."

Yunho was relieved to  hear Seonghwa's perfect enunciation. The drunk would slur their words.  "Of course. Do you have any idea how much you drank? And what you  drank?" They ordered some strong alcohol tonight. Yunho wondered if  Seonghwa did it on purpose.

"Do you have something  on your mind?" Seonghwa was staring straight ahead, perhaps at the  carefree teenagers across the road on the opposite side. Yunho couldn't  tell if his words registered in the other's head.

"Not really," Seonghwa replied. "I just think that Hongjoong shouldn't have said that. He was too harsh on you."

Knowing someone cared  about him, Yunho smiled and felt his heart swell. "It's no big deal. I  understand why he was so anxious." He looked down at his hands again and  started fiddling with his fingers. "I did make a mistake. We both agree  on that."

"Everyone makes mistakes," Seonghwa said, trying to comfort Yunho.

"Hongjoong wants me to  completely stop using my powers unless it's insignificant, like  retrieving objects that are out of reach." Yunho let out a sigh. He was  about to tell Seonghwa something he never told anyone, not even his own  brother. It was hard to open up his heart, but the alcohol must be  starting to take effect, giving him a burst of courage. 

"The truth is, I don't  want to give up. I want to fix my mistake, not evade it and prevent it  from happening." Seonghwa turned his head to look at Yunho, who still  had his head dipped. "I have to practice until I can control my powers  completely. I mean, everyone else is doing well. I feel like it's only  fair to the team if I contribute too. I'm not giving my best otherwise. I  wouldn't deserve to be part of you if I simply avoid using...these."  Yunho lifted his hands and let it fall back lifelessly on his thighs.

Seonghwa placed a hand  on Yunho's shoulders and angled his head so he could see the younger's  face. "Hey, don't say that. Every single one of us is important to the  team. There wouldn't be an us if you weren't here. You're as important  as anyone of us."

Yunho lifted his head. "Even if I keep making mistakes?"

Seonghwa nodded. Under the neon lights, his eyes were glimmering with sincerity. "Even if you make mistakes."

Yunho felt his lips curl  up instinctively. "Thanks. For saying that, and...for listening." And  it was true. Yunho's heart was much lighter now, as if Seonghwa's words  had gotten rid of all the heavy things inside.

The pair fell silent as they took a moment to slow down and reflect on their thoughts in this busy city.

A burst of laughter  escaped the restaurant through the opened doors. Seonghwa's hand slipped  away. The sensation reminded Yunho of the reason they were outside in  the first place.

"Are you sure you have  nothing else on your mind?" Yunho asked. Then, to sound less invasive,  he added, "I just want you to know that I'm here to listen if you need  it. You helped me a lot today, so I'm happy to return the favor."

It was Seonghwa's turn  to sigh. He bit his lips. After half a minute of deep rumination, he  finally said, "It's too early to worry about this." Confused, Yunho  opened his mouth to ask questions, but Seonghwa didn't let him. "Just  don't do anything stupid."   

Yunho couldn't tell if it was a joke. "Like what?"

"You know, just anything that would hurt the team."

Instead of being  offended, Yunho felt more puzzled than ever. Was the alcohol making  Seonghwa say weird things?  "Why would I do that? I thought you  understand that what happened during our first mission was just an  accident."

"I'm not talking about  that." Yunho noticed that Seonghwa wouldn't keep eye contact for more  than a few seconds. Something wasn't right. Drunk people couldn't talk  so coherently, right?

Unease settled in  Yunho's stomach. Ironically, the alcohol - a depressant - in his blood  was slowing down his brain and keeping him calm. "Then what are you  talking about?"

Seonghwa hesitated for a long time. "It doesn't matter. I trust that you'll always do the best for our group."

Yunho couldn't think of a  suitable response quickly enough. He watched Seonghwa walk away. He had  no idea what to think of the conversation, but he believed that  Seonghwa would open up once he was ready. For now, he was willing to  pretend it was the alcohol making everything so weird.

Back inside the  restaurant, Yunho caught Hongjoong's apologetic gaze. "It's ok, hyung. I  forgive you. Let's just have fun tonight."

Hongjoong smiled  gratefully. The atmosphere around the table had lightened a lot since  Yunho and Seonghwa went outside. "We swapped the beer for soft drinks.  Do you want some?"

"Sure," Yunho said, and he reached for a can of coke.

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

What do you think is bothering Seonghwa? 🤔

Yunho and Seonghwa are the main characters of this chapter, but the others will be back very soon :)

Get ready for some quick escalation in the next update!